Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I am aware of someone I know killing a turkey with his bow on the last day of the extended.....however there is no hard evidence and I was only told of the situation........

QUESTION: What do you do if you are me?

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Report it. From the sounds of it, there's no case here - but let the DWR decide whether the info has any value. After all, they may have additional info that you don't know about and your bit of info could be more valuable than it seems.

They made a good bust on a poached elk on the Manti a couple years ago and that case was slowly built from little separate bits and pieces of info just like this.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Get a small tape recorder, soften up your 'aquaintaince' with old huntin stories and a few drinks, get him to confess on tape. Try to find out if the turkey is still in the freezer. Or if he kept any feathers or spurs. I know its hard turining in someone you know, but if he's poaching, he's not much of a man to being with. You'll find better friends than that. contact Capt. John Pratt at the SLC DWR office.
You will be elligable for up to a 1,000$ reward. Thanks for your dedication and good luck.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Turn him in, let the dwr decide if they can make a case out of it. Although what is your stance on people shooting porcupines and skunks and things like that while out in the field. I personally have never done it, but know people who have and I don't think it is right. There is no reason to kill things just for the sake of killing if you want my opinion.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Post the whole story here on this blog, so that all evidence can be destroyed and the poacher can hid his tracks. If this is any help? Why have you waited so long?

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I called the DWR. They said that they would look into the situation. However, I know that all that was taken was the breast of the bird and since I don't know the EXACT location I wasn't much help in finding the evidence. They'll do what they can I suppose. Little by little, step by step.......

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Most DWR convictions are the result of confessions anyway and not neccesarily hard physical evidence. You did well by reporting it to the DWR. Who knows, perhaps the guy is a poor liar and he'll still get busted. Let's hope the DWR follows through on your tip.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts