Utah Wildlife Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
MM i have not attacked you why are you so pissed off? i just think that if we want to keep hunting then we need to KEEP young people interested in hunting and if you cant DEER HUNT or ELK HUNT for years WHAT MAKES YOU THINK THEY WILL ALL STAY INTERESTED? you are so worried about your own hunting and my punctuation that you refuse to even admit something needs to be done! you might have all the money in the world to buy guns and rvs and go hunting every weekend for months at a time, i don't and im also not in debt to my eyes I own my home and in 3 years will be completely debt free i hope you can say that when you 53 years old. now be civil and think about the future what would YOU suggest we do to help ensure that the 300 thousand hunters that want to hunt DEER will get that opportunity in 10 years?

·
Registered
646 Posts
Once again. KIDS CAN HUNT DEER AND ELK EVERY YEAR IN UTAH RIGHT NOW. OTC. Pick up a bow and teach them to shoot. Kids love archery and shooting arrows. Oh that’s not possible? Beggars can’t be choosers.

I work a full time job, I own a home, and pay my bills and still go hunting every weekend, for 6 months in the fall/winter and 2-3 weeks during the rest of the year. I make an average income. Priorities. If it’s worth it to you. You’ll make it happen.

I started planning for my children’s hunting opportunities before I even met their mother. I started creating opportunities so when they are of legal hunting age, my kid will have a LE elk tag the first year he can apply (probably). Will it be a San Juan tag? No. But it will be a bull tag and we will have a great time together hunting as a family. I will also mentor as many tags to them as I can. I building points for him right now for a few species that I have no interest in hunting again. Every parent has this same opportunity to do these things. Are they? No. They are doing it for themselves. Now that’s pretty selfish. My wife and 2 year old are both hooked on hunting. How did I do that? I take them every chance I possibly get. That will work on just about every kid out there. Take them as much as possible and make it a fun, enjoyable experience, and they will never get enough. And no, you don’t need to kill something every time. But it doesn’t hurt to be successful now and then. Show them stuff, teach them about things the otherwise wouldn’t learn. There’s more to the hunt than killing. however YOU need to do your part to ensure you aren’t just pissing in the wind and hunting a barren wasteland. Go do this thing called scouting. Kids also love this. I load my wife and little kid on my dirtbike and we go check trail cams every now and then. He plays with sticks and throws rocks. He helps me pour out the salt. He sits next to me on the log and looks at the photos on my phone. The kid lives for dirtbikes and hunting. He wasn’t preprogrammed this way. I taught him to love it. It can happen with all kids. PARENTS need to put in the effort.

How do I ensure 300k people get to hunt deer in 10 years. Very simple. Unless you’re “selfish”. Here’s my answer: do you need to have a tag with your name on it in your pocket, for you to go deer hunting or enjoy deer hunting? I certainly don’t. I’ve killed many great general season bucks myself, but do you know which hunts I find myself enjoying more? the ones where my wife is hunting for her first deer. My dad at 72 years old, shooting some pissy 3x3, on the same exact hillside that he took me hunting for my very first time, 25 years to the very same day, where we killed an identical buck. My brother shooting a dinky spike for his first buck. My brother and dad doubling up on 2 bucks within seconds of each other, while road hunting on a cold morning after an early snow storm. My wife killing a big deer while she’s pregnant, with my dad there to see it all. Those hunts mean more to me than any of the big deer I’ve shot myself. If you need a deer tag in your own pocket to go or even enjoy deer hunting, then I think you need to re-evaluate who and what you determine to be “selfish”. It’s not hard to find someone with a deer tag. And I don’t know anyone who will turn down free help on their hunt, especially when it comes to packing one out.

So to sum up all your questions, the answers boil down to this. It’s the responsibility of the parents/family/friends to take advantage of the numerous opportunities that are out there for youth in the hunting world. If it’s important enough for you that your kid goes hunting, you’ll find a way to do that. It’s really pretty inexpensive to get kids our hunting. Hell most guys on here would be willing to donate hunting stuff if you can’t seem to find funds for pants, boots, broadheads, arrows, Bullets, etc... I’m one of them. You just have to ask! The other answer I have is, you need to be ok with hunting not for yourself. Go help others with their tags! If you want to go, it isn’t hard to find someone with a permit. But with that said, there is still plenty of opportunities for people to hunt themselves, even if they don’t draw anything. Some years you don’t draw chit, but you can still go. Usually I draw between 5-10 tags a year, then buy OTC tags after that. This year I drew 2. A LE elk and a swan. But guess what? My fall is still as busy as a normal year. I’m just not the trigger puller.

Sounds like you just want to complain and make it everyone else’s fault you can’t go hunting and because of that, you want to take away additional opportunities to try and spread them around for everyone :roll: that isn’t the answer. That’s why I’m pissed. And I promise I’m not alone on that. No one wants more opportunities limited than they already are.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Bossloader-
I agree with MM. There ARE opportunities to get kids out hunting EVERY YEAR. You just need to do the homework. It does take some planning and a little luck, but if you do it right, there will be tags for your family EVERY YEAR. They may not be the highly coveted LE tags, but that's not the grind here - it's just about hunting, right.

I will tell you personally that I am making the commitment to hunt waterfowl more this fall. Why? It's what I cut my teeth on, sure, but I can also see that my 11 year old just isn't as enamored with big game yet...and I get it. Neither was I at his age. The days are too long, and the opportunities too far between for his liking. Sure, it's great when an animal is taken down, but he needs more opportunity and trigger time, and waterfowl is just that ticket.

You gotta do what it takes to keep your kids hunting. Sometimes that means doing things outside your comfort zone. It takes a certain amount of sacrifice like MM explained with his dad taking him. I had the same kind of dad who sacrificed alot, so that I could go. I hope I'm that same kind of dad to my kids and others. At least I try to be.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Ya know one of my greatest hunting accomplishments was the summer of 92' when I was 12 years old with my brand new Benjamin pellet gun. Down on grampa's farm that summer I killed 88 sparrows and starlings, plus three trophy magpies! I didn't have to buy any tags, build any points, nor have any help from any stinkin adults! It was glorious!;-)

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Ya know one of my greatest hunting accomplishments was the summer of 92' when I was 12 years old with my brand new Benjamin pellet gun. Down on grampa's farm that summer I killed 88 sparrows and starlings, plus three trophy magpies! I didn't have to buy any tags, build any points, nor have any help from any stinkin adults! It was glorious!;-)
And you didn't even shoot your eye out? :grin:

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Ya know one of my greatest hunting accomplishments was the summer of 92' when I was 12 years old with my brand new Benjamin pellet gun. Down on grampa's farm that summer I killed 88 sparrows and starlings, plus three trophy magpies! I didn't have to buy any tags, build any points, nor have any help from any stinkin adults! It was glorious![IMGclass=inlineimg]https://utahwildlife.net/forum/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif[/IMG]
I remember those days of yore...except my trophies were meadowlarks and blue jays!

·
Super Moderator
9,464 Posts
Kids these days can't have any fun. We used to walk the neighborhood with our BB guns all the time.
I wasn't allowed a BB gun, however I did have a 22 pump rifle.

We would walk up to Rock Canyon or down to Slate Canyon in Provo to find something to shoot at during the summer's. Then when I got my drivers license you would find us down at the dump spotlighting rats. We were down at the Spanish Fork dump one night when a county sheriff pulled in and began to question us. That was before he joined into the fun of popping rats.

Try any of that now and you and your parents would be put away

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
646 Posts
A kid from my neighborhood recently about went to jail for riding his dirtbike down the road, with a .22 on his back, headed for the hills behind the homes. Kids have done this stuff for years. Apparently we have a new cop who just transferred here from Cali and he wasn’t gonna let that slide. :roll: pretty much everyone told him what to go do with himself, but that’s where it starts. One starts being a little d!ck when kids are out having fun and before long, the whole crew is cracking down on kids playing outside and doing kid stuff. Too bad.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
My dad wouldn't let me have a BB gun as a kid.
Wouldn't let me have a dirt bike as a pre-teen.
Wouldn't let me have an Impala SS in high school.
Wouldn't let me have a 442 as I got out of high school. Wouldn't even talk to me about a Road Runner.
So, I missed out on a lot of stuff you guys got to do.

He was a very smart man......I probably would not have made it out. :mrgreen:

He did buy me my own 22 when I was a senior. Still have it.
Has given me a whole bunch of guns over the years.

And, I bought the Road Runner a little later in life when I started making good money. Of course after getting set up with a house, kids, etc.
Still have the Road Runner 33 years later.

·
Registered
9,859 Posts
I asked for a bb gun once and my dad flatly refused. Too dangerous he said. He then went and bought me a double barrel .410 shotgun instead.

His line of thinking: people dont think bb guns are dangerous and people use them carelessly. The shotgun you KNOW is dangerous, and you treat it much more carefully. Therefore, its safer.

I love how that guy thinks.

-DallanC

·
Super Moderator
9,464 Posts
That is where parents need to teach their kids respect for firearms. Be it a BB gun or a high power rifle. That is also where most parents get into problems with giving their kids a BB gun for Christmas and setting up a target in their basements and allowing their kids the freedom of shooting it when they are not around.

My first rifle was a .30-06 that was given to me when I was 5 by a alcoholic uncle, I still have that rifle. But even when I first bought my own BB gun I took it out into the desert to shoot it. When it came into the house there were no BB's left in it and like the other firearms it was stored properly with them.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
I remember those days of yore...except my trophies were meadowlarks and blue jays!
Kids these days can't have any fun. We used to walk the neighborhood with our BB guns all the time.
Yup, those starlings perched on the power line made for a tough target from the sidewalk or pavement back in the day.

I hate those **** birds to this day.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Yup, those starlings perched on the power line made for a tough target from the sidewalk or pavement back in the day.

I hate those **** birds to this day.
I HATE starlings. Nasty, flying rats. Starlings and house sparrows are the only song birds I don't feel guilty about shooting when I was younger. They do absolutely nothing good for our native species.

I remember the days...walk down our neighborhood street with the old one-pump Daisy 860 over the shoulder. No one ever batted an eye, and that was in the early 80s. My grandparents had a 25-30 acre patch of woods across the street from their house, and I could get lost in there for hours. Of course, rabbits or squirrels were the "real" trophies back then. The dang fox squirrels were tough - if you didn't hit them in the head at close range, they just absorbed shot after shot while we danced around the tree I'd treed them in. Good times...

41 - 56 of 56 Posts