Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well gents I scored a doe antelope tag this year for the poison bench unit. I was told by others that there we not many antelope on this unit, but saw it had a 50+% success rate. So I said I got to a better hunter than at least 50%of the other hunters i will get one ( this is most likely just my imagination).

Well I got to the unit the day before the hunt and it was a slick mud hole. Finally got my trailer set up, did some quick scouting and no antelope.

Woke up early the next day, opening day, and I covered that entire unit and did not see a single antelope all day. I started to thinknthisnuntinmight just be a points trap. I saw several hunters out there who also stated they had not seen a single antelope.

Being frustrated I went up Huntington canyon to hunt spike elk, not my usual spot but I was in the area. Ran into some elk but as my luck usually is it was all cows and big bulls. I spent a day and a half after elk then it looked like rain so I decided to head lower and see if any antelope moved into the unit.

Given my thorough search opening day, I new the roads that would allow me to cover the most ground the quickest. I did my scans, and nothing. Again I was not pleased. I began to head back to the trailer to check out the southwest portion of the unit again and called my wife to complain about not seeing any antelope. As I was driving and in mid sentence with my wife I yelled there are some antalope! I then dropped my phone and accidentally hung up on my wife. She called back as inoullednoff the road. I let her know I finally found some antelope and would call her back.

Put some binos on them and..... they were all bucks!!! SOB! One was a giant! Then I remembered it should be the antelope rot and there is now way a stud lope like that did not have a lady or two with him. So I decided to watch them and just see what they did, and if anything else shows up. I was watching the two smaller bucks mess around and then looked for the big buck, but he was no where to be seen? I was like I can see almost everything out here, and I thought there must be a ravine at the mesa to my right. I decided to watch where the other 2 bucks go, and slowly I watched them walk over to the suspected ravine and disappear. I quickly pulled up my google maps to find the fastest route (lots of gas roads out there) to where they disappeared. Then I was on my way. As i crept up to the location, i noticed one ot the smaller bucks bedded on the hill, then the second smaller buck too. Then I noticed movement above them and the big buck was pushing some doe antelope, halaluah! The antelope we still a ways off, but those does knew something was up and began to run for it. I started to gun it down the road while putting in my ear plugs (safety first) to close the gap as they headed for the unit boundary, seemed like they knew where to head for safety. As they cross the road they were about 100 yards away and on full tilt. I grabbed my gun and tripped as I slammed it in park, jumped off the road, dropped my stix seat down, acquired my target (quartering away), put a lead on it and squeezed my savage 300 win mag accutrigger... Booom.... Thwap.... doe down. Crazy how fast it went from the worst antelope unit in have ever seen, to a nor unti in about 20 minutes. Still not alot of antelope out there.
Primate Fawn Terrestrial animal Tail Snout

·
Registered
34 Posts
When I had that permit last year it was a tougher antelope hunt for sure but with the amount of work you were willing to give it I figured you would get it done. Congratulations on your success.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Did you shoot it in the head on the run?

·
Registered
655 Posts
No, unfortunately the doe was still alive when I walked up on her. So the headshot was a finishing shot.
Ahh. Still awesome nonetheless. Hopefully not much meat lost on that tasty critter.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anybody say "nice shot"? - Nice shot.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nope, I kept everything but the guts and skin. I actually took out two of her knees, I just didnt want to be to graphic. I am smoking the ribs right now actually. Should be done in 30 minutes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts