Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have experience with them? I know the hype but wonder how much is nostalgia. I just purchased my first Pre 64 model 70 and can't wait to try it out. It is a 1950 model long action that has been re barreled with a nice medium weight 26" Shilen chambered in 257 Ackley. The gun is bedded nicely into the original stock and all are in immaculate shape. The gun was built 20 years ago by a gunsmith who I know very well. Holding this piece takes one back to the time when rifles were slender, heavy, and made of oiled walnut and deep blued steel. Man I'm a hopeless sucker for a fine rifle. Now I can't wait to start shooting it. -----SS

·
Premium Member
4,049 Posts
I've seen a few, handled a few less, and shot none. They are a classic example of the gun maker's art from a world we will never know again. A firearm made by skilled hands, not a robot. Fine polished steel, and well fitted walnut. Not Cerakote and plastic. With that said, the modern rifles might have an edge in the accuracy department. Tighter tolerances and all that.

·
Premium Member
3,699 Posts
I have shot a pre 64 mod 70 300 H&H mag, and a pre 64 mod 70 243 a lot, I have a 1967 mod 70 30 06 and they all shoot great, have not seen any difference in them, the 300 H&H was my father in law's, the 243 was my dad's and the 06 is mine and soon to be my daughters and they all have taken their share of game and all are very accurate. I have been able to clover leaf all three at 100 yards with standard factory ammo.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Spring,
I'm not gonna lie, even if you shoot all my spike elk on the Monroe I am jealous of that rifle. Sounds like the kinda rifle I'd set and watch TV with when I wasn't out shooting!!!

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
I'm waiting for my brother to croak so I can get his pre 64 .270. Unfortunately he is in very good health right now. :(

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
I have seen, handled and sold many pre-64 M70's. They are great old classic firearms and were the "standard" in the industry during their day. Fine workmanship, great action and in my opinion they are "what a rifle is supposed to look like".
Today they are very collectible when in all original condition and their prices are still rising. Good "shooters" can be had for a few hundred bucks where as a nice example in the rarer calibers and configurations can range into the thousands.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
hath**** seemed to do ok with his but i'd bet he could have done the same with any production rifle in today's time.

congrats on your purchase

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here it is on the bench. Got about 20 cases fire formed today. Accuracy is looking good and I love the feel of this rifle. It is a long action with a heavier barrel but it balances excellent and points like second nature. Due to the robust construction, the minuscule 257 Bob Imp. Barely even gives a push. Who'd a thunk?-------SS

Attachments

·
Bjorne Lou Tsar
3,340 Posts
I had a conversation about pre 64s with a knowledgeable gun nut a few days ago and he said the steel was better in the pre 64s. Not sure how true it is.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I'm lucky enough to have a 1959 Model 70 in .30-06 as my big game rifle. I inherited it from my wife's grandpa, he knew what to look for in a gun! He served in Korea and Vietnam and probably saw more $%&* before breakfast than I've seen in my whole life. It can shoot far better than I can aim and that's all you can ask of a rifle. It's a gun that I aspire to be good enough for, not the other way around. I look at it as a window into a time when good solid craftsmanship beat the bottom line and, to quote Edward R. Murrow, we could look back into our doctrine and know that we were not descended from fearful men. I don't know that we can say the same about today. Enjoy your rifle!

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I've had an interest in firearms for many years... When I was younger, I admired my grandpa's rifle collection, but never knew exactly what I was looking at in his gun cabinet. I spoke with my Grandpa yesterday about it and he mentioned all three rifles are Winchester Model 70s in pristine shape. A 25-06, 30-06, and a Pre-64 264 WM. I'd love to be able to shoot those beauties with him some time.

·
Premium Member
4,049 Posts
Looks like a fine piece of classic American craftsmanship. I don't want to nitpick, but just to clarify for some of our younger listeners out there, there is no such thing as a long or short action pre-64 model 70. They were all the same. The 375 H&H was built on the same action as the 22 Hornet. And you got to choose from three standard models (but could custom order from an extensive menu).

·
Registered
240 Posts
My dad here with his\his dads pre 64 in .270. Not sure of the year but it has to be in the early 50's I would think. It shoots very well. I have taken a couple of critters with it over the years. Someday it will be found in my safe but I hope that is far in the future. That scope is very old also.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You know, this is a cool rifle, but I don't know if it is that much better than the 721/722. I wonder why the M-70 gets all the love? The stock is a little fancier and it has a claw extractor but the fit, finish and function are very similar.-----SS

·
Registered
240 Posts
That is one cool picture. What a cool old rifle. Probably be in the family for a LONG time.----SS
It goes to my son if I die with the instructions that it can never be sold. If he could not keep it then it is to go to my youngest daughter. Both have a sense of history and family.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts