Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fairly new to the forum and hunting and trying to understand how preference points work when applying as a group. I looked back through some old threads but didn't see a clear answer.

I didn't grow up hunting, but now that I am getting into it my Dad wants to come up from CA and go on a hunt with me before his body won't let him anymore. I have one preference point from not drawing in the general season deer last year, but he is a non-resident that has never applied before.

If we put in as a group with just the two of us, do I still draw with 1 preference point? Or do I lose it for being in a group with someone with no points?

I just am trying to figure out where to put in to give us the best odds of drawing and actually harvesting something since this will probably be our first and last hunt together.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Fairly new to the forum and hunting and trying to understand how preference points work when applying as a group. I looked back through some old threads but didn't see a clear answer.

I didn't grow up hunting, but now that I am getting into it my Dad wants to come up from CA and go on a hunt with me before his body won't let him anymore. I have one preference point from not drawing in the general season deer last year, but he is a non-resident that has never applied before.

If we put in as a group with just the two of us, do I still draw with 1 preference point? Or do I lose it for being in a group with someone with no points?

I just am trying to figure out where to put in to give us the best odds of drawing and actually harvesting something since this will probably be our first and last hunt together.

Thanks!
Your points are averaged and then rounded down. In your case, the average of your points is (1+0)/2 = 0.5. This will be rounded back down to zero. If you put in as a group, you'll be in the same position you were last year.

·
Super Moderator
3,405 Posts
Clarq is correct on the points. With you being a resident and your father being a nonresident, applying together, you both will be put on the nonresident tag pool.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
... you both will be put on the nonresident tag pool.
I hadn't started hearing that if a non-resident & resident apply together as a group then the resident tag will come from the non-res pool until this year... is there confirmation on this?

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
I hadn't started hearing that if a non-resident & resident apply together as a group then the resident tag will come from the non-res pool until this year... is there confirmation on this?
I did some looking last night (in the guidebook as well as the admin code), and I couldn't find any sure word on this one way or another. I would be interested to know for sure, if anyone figures it out.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I did some looking last night (in the guidebook as well as the admin code), and I couldn't find any sure word on this one way or another. I would be interested to know for sure, if anyone figures it out.
The resident still remains in the resident pool and the non-resident still remains in the non-resident pool. You just have to make sure there are non-resident tags listed for your hunt. Also, keep in mind that if there are no more tags left in either of those pools, then both of you lose. In other words, if there are still tags in the resident pool, but none in the non-resident pool (or visa versa) when your app comes up, then neither of you will get a tag.
Page 15, Big Game Application Guidebook.

·
Super Moderator
3,405 Posts
The resident still remains in the resident pool and the non-resident still remains in the non-resident pool. You just have to make sure there are non-resident tags listed for your hunt. Also, keep in mind that if there are no more tags left in either of those pools, then both of you lose. In other words, if there are still tags in the resident pool, but none in the non-resident pool (or visa versa) when your app comes up, then neither of you will get a tag.
Thanks for the correction!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the info guys. I appreciate the help. I am bringing out my inner nerd tonight and building an excel sheet looking at draw odds and success rates from last year and trying to make some decisions.

Besides OnX maps or GoHuntInsider does anyone know of a good place to find out which units have public land and which ones are mostly private? I haven't found a good free resource yet

Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Thanks for all the info guys. I appreciate the help. I am bringing out my inner nerd tonight and building an excel sheet looking at draw odds and success rates from last year and trying to make some decisions.

Besides OnX maps or GoHuntInsider does anyone know of a good place to find out which units have public land and which ones are mostly private? I haven't found a good free resource yet

Thanks!!
Greg, I like this map from the DWR website: http://dwrapps.utah.gov/ram/start2
In the "More Data Options" check the boxes to see the Federal, State, Tribal, and Private lands anywhere within the state. I like to switch the basemap up in the top right to a topo map to start with then switch back and forth between that and satellite imagery.

If you follow the link in my signature you can check out my spreadsheet, you'll just need a Google account because it's hosted on Google Drive/Docs.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Just part of the joy of going from Resident to Non-Resident.
You take your Res partner down with you with the higher points needed by NR.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just part of the joy of going from Resident to Non-Resident.
You take your Res partner down with you with the higher points needed by NR.
True, but if I can make it work and do a hunt together with my Dad then it is worth it 😉

1 - 12 of 12 Posts