Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully this will help a few newer hunters get some ideas for their upcoming hunts.
I will try to cover:
1) getting into shape
2) scouting
3) developing a good day pack
4) developing an overnight or multi day pack
5) shooting practice
6) taking care of game when it's down

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Now that the draws are coming to a close and we have some waiting to do before we know for sure where and who we may be hunting with this year.
It's time to get back into shape.
This year, I really have "let myself go" when weight gain is concerned.:cry:
I have set a personal goal to loose 40lbs. by July 1st.:shock:
About 6 weeks ago I hit my all time weight of 221 lbs.
That's up 60 lbs. from when I was wild land firefighting and could bench press 300 lbs.
This was after my wife and I had hit an all you can eat buffet and afterwards, I found myself throwing up because I was so sick from over eating.
I knew I had a problem.
And it was time to do something about it.
So for the past 6 weeks, I have cut all processed sugars and reduced my carbs. drastically.
I also try to get in 30-45 minutes of exercise a day.
I have bad knees and a stress fracture in my right foot, which leaves running or jogging out of the question but here's a few things I've be doing the last few weeks.
Easy stuff, like push ups, sit ups, jumping jacks, stair steppers and some light weight lifting.
I have lost 18 lbs. so far.

I'd like to hear about some of the things you are doing to get back into shape.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
I too have let myself go over the past year or two. Tipped in at 215 the other day. I have historically been a 175-190 guy. My biggest problem is beer and eating healthy. I have high hopes for my draws this year and should have a few tags. I MUST drop some weight. 40 lbs is my goal by September. So me and the wife joined a biggest loser competition at my work. We are speed walking/jogging at the park 3 times a week, starting at 2 1/2 miles increasing a half mile every week. Also going with a low sugar and carbs diet ( no more mtn dew ). :(

For my beer issue I have to earn them. 1 beer = 15 pushups or 20 leglifts. This worked pretty well monday-friday as I usually only have 1 to 3 beers a night. However, this weekend and the Daytona 500 have put me in a huge hole......might be time to severe the friendship with my beloved Coors Light if I expect to get where I want. ;( .

·
Super Moderator
9,653 Posts
Weight gain is a problem that we all have as we get older and our bones and joints don't work as they should.

I hit 240 lbs just after Christmas and dropped 6 lbs by Febuary to go on my javelina hunt in Arizona and am now back up to 238 but expect to be down to close to 200 by summer. My joints wont take jogging anymore so it is a 3-4 mile walk each day and then once the snow is gone I take a 6 mile loop hike with a 1000' gain in altitude in 3 miles and then a 1 mile level hike then downhill the last 2 miles.

My fingers are crossed that will work for me.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Still haven't lost the weight I but on after my daughter was born. I'm at 240, and would, ideally like to get down to the 150 range. That's not gonna happen between now and the fall, but my hope is to get to 200 by the season opener. My apartment complex has a fitness room, so I've been doing some weight training. Looking forward to the snow melting so I can do more hiking too.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I was at an all time high of 226 right after Christmas, I cut out processed sugar and carbs, got on this stuff my wife sells called Arbonne and I weighed in at 205 this morning. I'm going to start hitting the treadmill tomorrow and try to hit it at least 3 times a week. Last year I had my rear handed to me by the Wyoming high country, I'm hoping this year is different.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Great idea for a thread! I didn't receive the most thorough big game hunt training growing up, and I look forward to learning some wisdom here. And it's a good reminder that the hunt really starts now, not when the tag is drawn, or when the season opens.

The best motivation for me to stay in shape is having a tag... I'm around 99% sure I won't draw any tags this year, so it might be more difficult. I may end up buying a spike tag if a friend or two can commit to hunting with me.

As far as staying in shape goes, a good diet along with quick neighborhood speed walks/jogs when I need a break from homework are my main strategies. Giving up soda, popcorn and Little Debbie's snacks helped me drop 20 pounds a few years back. I cheat on popcorn every now and again, but I don't really have a desire to touch the others after seeing what a difference it made to give them up.

Of course, turkey hunting is my favorite fitness strategy...

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Man, after the sheep hunt beat me up last fall, I've really done close to nothing for the past 3 months...and I can feel it. I've historically been able to keep my weight in the 170-180 range, and have never had to worry about what I eat, BUT I can see that those days are probably going to end really soon. That will be a really sad day!!

That said, with the warming weather, my goal will be to get out and walk / jog 3 times a week at first...transitioning to jogging 3-4 miles 3 times a week once summer gets here. I will also start riding my bike 8 miles round trip to the TRAX station. Anything to stay active!

One hint to any newbies out there - if you only train in the gym or at home, the mountains will kick your arse in a heartbeat. There is no substitute from hiking / training in the mountains with the gear you will be hauling around on your back. This doesn't have to be a weekly thing, but the more time you spend training at altitude and under weight loads, the better you will feel come the fall hunting seasons.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Jake / 3arabians and speed walking - I've got to see this! Do you wear ankle weights and pump those arms using 5 lb. dumbells?? Just giving you a hard time, although I still might have to chuckle! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Jake / 3arabians and speed walking - I've got to see this! Do you wear ankle weights and pump those arms using 5 lb. dumbells?? Just giving you a hard time, although I still might have to chuckle! :mrgreen:
Ya it aint pretty! After I posted that I thought to myself "huh, did I really just admit to speed walking at the park on a internet forum? :shock:" I wonder if I will escape this one unrazzed? I am glad it was you Mike. I will say this; women are capable of making a man do a great many things he normally would never do! :D

No ankle weights or arm weights a pumping. Although I did mock the motion for awhile the first time we went until the wife became un amused and I had to stop.

·
Registered
6,739 Posts
Two years ago I was able to drop 35 pounds throughout the year and I was feeling great. That was the best hunting season for me physically since I was a teenager as I could hike around without feeling like I was going to die! Unfortunately I've gained it all back (plus a little) and feel like crap. I have a goal in my head to lose 20 pounds by the draw in May. It's totally doable for me, I'm just having the darnedest time getting motivated to do it.

I just need to cowboy up and do it. Easier said than done.

Now that the weather (and air) is getting a little better I plan to get out on my bike for cardio. I have generally not done a ton of hiking pre-season, but MWScott is exactly right. No prep for the mountains but the mountain itself. So I'm going to have to mix in some hikes.

Anyone that has some ideas for fun/decent hikes close to Provo, post them up! (Aside from just walking up the mountain.)

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
There's nothing that compares to actually being in the mountains getting in shape with your pack. Spending a lot of time in a gym mimicking what you do while hunting seems silly if you can actually go up and DO what you do hunting.

However, most can't get in the mountains as frequently as we can get in the gym or out around the neighborhood for a workout. When I'm in the gym I try to do big lifts that will incorporate multiple muscle groups and the big groups you use in the field. Lunges with weights, squats, dead lifts, power cleans, standing curls, etc. I try to do everything with free weights so I have to work the smaller muscles to control the weight and balance. When I do treadmill work, I bring my pack with weights in it and try to do a variety of incline settings over the distance interval that I'm working for the day. I also like stair masters and jumping rope for lower impact cardio work.

Hey, it ain't speed walking unless it looks like this!

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
For all those trying to get back into shape. You might want to try Cycling. Other than feeling violated by a skinny seat, its a great work out. I started about two years ago and love it. I was about 240 ish and got down to 220. Now back up to 230 because I can't ride in the winter as much. The good thing about a bike is the low impact, I road a few 75 mile rides last year, hurt like heck after. I didn't think I was going to be able to walk for a few weeks , but was fine the next day. Joints didn't even hurt. A guy my size usually burns about 1000 calories an hr. with a 16 mph average speed. I have seen it help my a lot when I am hiking in the hills. Most the time my 14 yr can't even keep up.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
I'm taking a different strategy. My biggest problem is that I get so danged excited that I run around the woods like an ADD teenager hooped up on energy drinks. I know that I walk by lots of deer every year. I'm going to try gaining about 30 lbs in order to slow the pace down a bit. Hopefully I will do a little more glassing while I'm taking more frequent rest breaks.

My plan is to intake more processed sugars and fatty foods while resisting the urge to do more physical activity than needed. We'll see how it goes?-------SS

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
I'm taking a different strategy. My biggest problem is that I get so danged excited that I run around the woods like an ADD teenager hooped up on energy drinks. I know that I walk by lots of deer every year. I'm going to try gaining about 30 lbs in order to slow the pace down a bit. Hopefully I will do a little more glassing while I'm taking more frequent rest breaks.

My plan is to intake more processed sugars and fatty foods while resisting the urge to do more physical activity than needed. We'll see how it goes?-------SS
Dont forget the beer! Trust me it works great. Drink Odouls if necessay. :D

·
758 Posts
Two years ago I was able to drop 35 pounds throughout the year and I was feeling great. That was the best hunting season for me physically since I was a teenager as I could hike around without feeling like I was going to die! Unfortunately I've gained it all back (plus a little) and feel like crap. I have a goal in my head to lose 20 pounds by the draw in May. It's totally doable for me, I'm just having the darnedest time getting motivated to do it.

I just need to cowboy up and do it. Easier said than done.

Now that the weather (and air) is getting a little better I plan to get out on my bike for cardio. I have generally not done a ton of hiking pre-season, but MWScott is exactly right. No prep for the mountains but the mountain itself. So I'm going to have to mix in some hikes.

Anyone that has some ideas for fun/decent hikes close to Provo, post them up! (Aside from just walking up the mountain.)
My favorite hike in the state is the Timp. Summit. I try to do it at least once every summer. The Aspen Grove parking lot is open all year. Timpenokee trail head opens July first. You don't have to go to the top to get a good work out. I love the goats and big horns up there. Maybe this is not a decent hike but it is fun. peace

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I had to give up the pop and fatty food when they thought I had had cancer in my digestive track 25 years ago. I weighed about 200 then. After the biopsies I had to stay on the diet for about 6 weeks. By then it had become more of a habit. I dropped to about 175 for a while. When I could eat normal again I went to 190. Have stayed right there ever since using the same diet in moderation. I eat more veggies and fruit now and do some walking and hiking. But, not heavy duty.
I could probably get to 180 or so if I wanted, but I'm pretty comfortable hanging around 190. Give up the few beers I enjoy, and I do like brownies .........could get there. But I have always figured everything in moderation as I already mentioned.
I think the best things I did were to get off the pop, and give up fast food. Made it pretty easy to control my weight without really having to work at it.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I'm in the same boat as 2full in regards to the soda and fast food.

4 years ago, I took a better paying job that involves extended periods of driving with minimal physical exertion...it has definitely taken it's toll on my body. My joints ache (especially my right knee lately) and I feel like I'm in poor shape due to the lack of cardio and physical exercise.

I weigh in at 174 as of today my max was 185 but I'd like to be closer to 160-165 or even 175 if it were more muscle than belly fat (Bud Light). I take the stairs a lot at work and do a lot of swimming which is low impact and helps build my lung strength by swimming underwater for as long as possible. I'm thinking of buying a new bike this spring so I can ride and minimize the impacts on my knees and ankles.

I cut out soda and fatty foods when I started driving more because the sugar burnout and full fat stomach increase my drowsiness and driving tired is no bueno. now I drink water and eat 6" Subway sandwiches when I have long drives across the state ahead of me, or even stay a little hungry as it help keep me awake. Just dropping the soda shed 5 lbs.

I've tried jogging but I hate it and it hurts my knees.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I weighed in at 218 a year and a half ago. Just by hiking a lot I was able to drop 14 of that. But then the holidays hit and I was back up to 210.

A month ago my wife got me a fitbit and it has totally changed my attitude. It keeps track of the distance I go, steps I take and calories I burn. I also started working out doing p90x3 (only 30 minutes a day). I also signed up for an app called pact. You have to make agreements to workout, log your food, and eat a certain number of fruits and veggies. For each one you miss, you have to pay $5. If you complete all of it, you get paid. Kinda nice.

Overall, I am now at 202 (still got 7 to go!) but the amount of strength and energy I have now compared to then is impressive.

·
Registered
37 Posts
A little over a year ago I was doing a serious "get back in shape" hike up a mountain when I had a full on heart attack. Had my son not been with me, and a chopper with a paramedic had not reached me just as my heart stopped, I would have died.:-?
Moral of the story is, if you have a history of heart issues in your family, get a good check up before you launch your "Christmas weight loss" plan.
Granted, I am 66 years old, which is probably way older than most of you, but all the same, make sure your body can handle a sudden increase in activity.
Post script: After the placement of two stents in my heart, some medical supervision, and 7 months of careful training, I was able to complete a 12 day backpack sheep hunt. ;)

1 - 20 of 62 Posts