Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The post about Velvet has gotten me thinking. How have you guys perserved the velvet on racks taken during the archery hunt? I have taken a couple racks in to a taxadermist and one worked very nice but the other one didn't work very well. He said that the velvet had already started to dry out even though it was only a couple days after I killed it. I am thinking about next year taking some of the Antler Tan solution you can buy and trying it myself on the rack shortly after the kill (if I get one :) ). Has anybody used this stuff? Is there a better way to do it on my own?

Mark

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
I am a taxidermist so my take on this is different. The rub on tans are ok. I don't really like them, but it is the safest way for a do-it-yourselfer to preserve velvet. The best way is to inject the antlers with an 'aldahyde, but it is also dangerous. I am not saying you can't do it yourself, but I guess for $40 or so I'd have a taxidermist do it.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Packout,what's the going rate for velvet European mount like you have pictured, a velvet mount is the last goal I have for deer.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is a very nice looking european mount packout. I wanted to do that with the deer I kiled last year but the taxadermist I took it too said he couldn't perserve the velvet and bleach the skull both, that it wouldn't work. The velvet ended up not working anyway so it didn't matter, maybe I need to find a new taxadermist.

I have been looking at Velvet tans and found some stuff called Perserv-It that is supossed to work pretty good. Would I inject this type of stuff straight or use a solution with water?

Mark

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Forgot all about this post with the holidays and all.

Mark,
There are many different types of DIY tan for velvet, some are better than others. I am not sure about all the products, because I use the same product which has proven itself over the years. Just follow whatever directions come with the product. Also, find out how much the tanning solution costs and the ask a taxidermist (reputable) in your area how much he charges to inject them. Then decide if the difference is worth it to you. I charge less than $40 on average to inject, with a no pay if it slips. (Some reasons for velvet loss is spoilage, too dry, damage, or the velvet is very close to shedding)

Mojo,
The European is $90 + $20 for the extra labor of cleaning the skull while maintaining the velvet + $40 or so to inject and preserve the velvet = about $140. They take some time and effort, but they turn out very nice.

You guys can check out my site if you wish: http://www.sagebasin.com (Hope it is ok to put that on here)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts