Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 7mm rem mag, and a twelve gage that I use frequently and was wondering if and how much money I could save in the long haul by reloading verses factory bought? Any insight would be great, thanks bigbuck81 _O\

·
Registered
6,305 Posts
I shoot my 7MM Mag very little. If I was only going to load for it , then I feel it would not be worth the cost of all the equipment. That said I load for several handguns and several rifles and it has saved me a grundle over the past 20 +years. Looks like you need to buy the reloader and about 10-15 rifles and 10-15 handguns. :lol: Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I have been reloading shot sells for about 30 years. I figured it out once but I cannot remember the exact numbers, but to the best of my recollections, I think I figured I was reloading for about 40% of buying factory loads counting buying hulls and reloading them about 7 times. I use rifle ammo for hunting only so I don't shoot enough to make it worth reloading. In the past it was an advantaqe to reload rifle ammo because you could get better performance from handloads than from factory ammo. But now modern "premium" rifle ammunition compares very well with handloads. It really depends on how much you shoot whether it is an economical advantage to reload.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I have never reloaded shotgun shells. Just don't shoot enough of them to be worth the setup.

I have loaded for around 8 different rifle cartridges and 5 handgun cartridges. If you are shooting a lot, ya, you can save a bundle on cost. I figure I can load for about half what the factory ammo costs. If you are like many who buy one box of shells a year for your deer rifle, it won't be worth the cost of equiipment.

I got my reloading equipment many years ago and now if I want to add a caliber, it is just new dies and maybe a shell holder. For less than $40 I can load the new cartridge. Now that small investment will pay off really fast. For instance .45 auto loads cost about $20 for 50 and if you can load them for half, 200 rounds and your investment is paid for.

I am not sure one ever saves money by reloading though, you just shoot more for the same buck. :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts