Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is QUICKLY becoming one of my favorite hunts!

This years hunt looks to be special, I have a very AWESOME lope found
were I'm set up....May-be the best one I've ever found on Plateau.
Going for my 3rd archery antelope off this unit ...8)...
I have two treestand set ups, But it looks like this one is were I'll spend
most my time this year....

The tree,

The stand,

View from the stand on the set up...

The 'set up...2nd minral rock....The 1st one COMPETLY gone in 4 weeks.

Antelope at the stand the last couple days...
Had them come in while I was settin up the stand .......:D..

Havn't got a good pic of the big one--------Yet...
Hoping to have one soon though..;-)..

I'm SUPER pumped! Aug 15th cant get here soon enough.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Goofy...I have not had the time to go look around. Are there many lopers this year? I know the water holes I will be sitting, hoping they move out of the trees and into the flats. How is the water? Pretty dry or are the watering holes full? I think I know the area you have your stand setup. I have driven thru a few times on my ATV. Looking forward to the hunt myself. We may wait until labor day weekend to go since my son can only hunt weekends this year.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Never seen so much water down there!
The flash floods last week has every water hole at full capasity.

Right now, They can drink from water puddles on the roads...

Not many antelope in the 'flats' this year,
But I have found very good numbers in the surounding areas....
The Fish lake side looks better than I've ever seen it, Antelope and deer both.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Plateau antelope is by far my favorite hunt , and I've never held a tag for down there. My wife is in the first year of her waiting period, and is already anxious to get back down there, with her bow this time.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Goofy... the locals tell me the lopers don't move into the flats until September when the rut gets going. Last time I was there (drove thru in late Feb earlier this year) I saw no lopers on the flats and very few in the lowland hills around the Boulders (South of Bicknell). I am hoping they were just hibernating. We drove the stretch along the great western trail (10 mile atv trail) that runs past the ranger station over on the Boulders. I think it is the same place you have rented this year. Sometimes there are lots of lopers in the quakes along that trail, but that trip we saw only 1 very small herd of about 6 or 8.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ya, bow dude, Thats the ranger station I have rented.

Lacal's,,?
I've been hunting this unit for over 30 years,
When can i be called a 'local' ,,,,, ? ...:mrgreen:...

·
Registered
650 Posts
when you live there you can be called a local. My great grand parents and great great grand parents are buried in the Bicknell cemeteryl. They settled Bicknell flats which at that time was called Red Lake, prior to it being drained. My Grandmother was raised there. The town or settlement at that time was called Thurber.

When did you say you were going to be there? If we get there when you are there, I will have to look you up. I really like the ranger station area.

·
Premium Member
2,741 Posts
great pics and setup Goofy

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
It surprises most people that antelope are even in the trees, but the tallest one I've seen this year (16", average mass) was in the trees right off the Mammoth Creek road from SR14 to SR143. A few large meadows, but mostly quakies and evergreens. Good hunting, Goofy, and be safe!

·
Registered
236 Posts
It surprises most people that antelope are even in the trees, but the tallest one I've seen this year (16", average mass) was in the trees right off the Mammoth Creek road from SR14 to SR143. A few large meadows, but mostly quakies and evergreens. Good hunting, Goofy, and be safe!
Yep I hear you. Two years ago my wife and I were in Panguitch Lake chasing them at high altitude (9,000 feet) and some in the quakies. It was fun times!

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Kinda got side tracked on the antelope.

Even though we saw 135 different antelope bucks,
The deer hunting was CRAZY good!

After watching the kids miss a few shots, I couldn't take it anymore:!:

Let an arrow fly----This was the results.

Now when we get back down there next week, for a week,
I can really concentrate on that big loper...:grin:...;)

Attachments

·
Registered
650 Posts
Nice deer goofy. My son and I won't be down chasing the lopers until the labor day week end. I am excited to go down. Sounds like the lopers are back in numbers.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
bow_dude,----Thanks!
Actually the over all antelope numbers are not that great.

Doe and fawn numbers WAY lower than past years....

We saw about the same number of bucks as does and fawns total.

VERY, very few antelope on the traditional range.

The guys in the flats are struggling big time.

·
Administrator
21,349 Posts
That's a beauty. Way2go!

·
Registered
650 Posts
Hmmmm.... so maybe I should have allowed more time for the hunt this year. Are you seeing them around the ranger station much? The last time I was down, which was in late Feb, along the GWT south of the cabin, was the only place I bumped any lopers. I saw none in the flats. I was hoping it was just the time of year and they hadn't moved out of the trees yet. I will have to get with you after your week long hunt. Guess I better get me another BLM map of the area. I gave mine away to a friend who hunted there two years ago.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
bow_dude,
There are some not far from the Station, Including the giant I'm trying to kill.
But, not a lot.

We camped s/central in the unit for the first five days.
Saw one herd of bucks that had 21 together! another of 11 , 8 , and 9.....
Bucks only!.....No does.

I've spent 26 days on the unit so far this year, I have found small groups of antelope
in places I've never seen them before.
North on the Fishlake side and further south on the Boulder side ....

For the life of me, cant see how they are justifying 600 doe permits this year..:!:..:mad:.

I will be back Sept 2nd.
Get with me, I can help.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here was our camping hang out for the first 5 nights of the hunt.

Attachments

Reactions: wyogoob

·
Registered
60 Posts
Goofy-
congrats on your Mule Deer! Il be heading down there on Wed, probably camping on the Parker mountain range. Never been down there but have looked at alot of maps and cant wait to fill my pronghorn tag.
Good luck

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
^^^^ I will be at the Aquarius Ranger Station,
If you get over that way, Stop by...:!:..^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Reactions: archeryobsession
1 - 20 of 39 Posts