Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
More deer tags is great! Hunting cow elk on private lands is way better than uncontrolled control tags. Headed in the right direction.----SS

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Gotta read the comments, had me grinning big time...:grin:
Grinning? I wish I had your sense of humor... I generally end up aggravated when I bother to read the comments on these types of news stories. I guess I just need to lighten up.

But then again, these are the same folks who are filling out the division's surveys, and influencing their management strategies.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Private land

Are the landowners going to go along with this? How much are they going to start charging for access? Is this an increase in CWMU tags as well? Too many questions, but a change in the right direction.

·
Registered
127 Posts
How is this a step in the right direction as far as more private elk tags go? This doesn't seem to benefit the general public in anyway. I'd like to see these tags go to CWMU units where it could be an even split between public access tags and the land owner selling the tags.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
How is this a step in the right direction as far as more private elk tags go? This doesn't seem to benefit the general public in anyway. I'd like to see these tags go to CWMU units where it could be an even split between public access tags and the land owner selling the tags.
The idea is that these permits will increase hunting pressure on private lands to the point that elk will stop hiding out on them and start using more public land again. In that way, public hunters will benefit. We'll see how well it works.

I'll be watching (and maybe applying for) the first proposed cow elk hunt on the Currant Creek unit, which would open 11/21. If the private land permits do their job, success rates might go up there.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Also, seems like a lot of people are misunderstanding that the private landowners DO NOT get the tags, the public do. The tags are just only able to be used on private land. This doesn't mean that a landowner has to charge for access, and you might get lucky and find one that just hates elk. But I would comfortably expect properties with a realistic chance of harvest will charge $500-1500 per person.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I could certainly see that scenario johnnycake. I bought a depredation doe pronghorn for $150 one year and went back the next for another and he increased it to $300 for a 90lb antelope. $500 for a cow elk is not a hard number to see for some access.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Are the landowners going to go along with this? How much are they going to start charging for access? Is this an increase in CWMU tags as well? Too many questions, but a change in the right direction.
To me this just stinks of once again the state selling out to special interests. How much money will they earn selling our elk

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
561 Posts
To me this just stinks of once again the state selling out to special interests. How much money will they earn selling our elk

Who cares? The elk aren't accessible to you as hunters so it doesn't matter. At least the state has come up with a way to try and make them accessible to you now and in the future.

There's really no way to win with some people, you're damned if you do and damned if you don't

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
The great thing about the private land tags bucksnort is if once implemented land owners complain about elk issues the DWR can ask if they are allowing reasonable access to sportsman. If they say no then I think the division could and should then say we don't a more reasonable compensation or solution for you.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Who cares? The elk aren't accessible to you as hunters so it doesn't matter. At least the state has come up with a way to try and make them accessible to you now and in the future.

There's really no way to win with some people, you're damned if you do and damned if you don't
This is what concerns me. Sure, I may not be able to access to elk during hunting season but my hunting on the public ground this herd ALSO occupies could be affected.

The idea is that putting pressure on them from private land will move them back to public. This is a huge assumption. For that to work, the private tags would need to be aggressively hunted more so than on the public land. How many people are going to pay the $500-1500 access fee to do that? Not near as many as there will be hunting for $50 on public land. So if the metric the DWR is using to "move the herd" is pressure there will still never be as much pressure as on public especially during the general hunt.

Now the effect will be the private hunts will just serve as a population sink because some will be killed and it will reduce the population. That will lead to overall less hunting opportunity to people not willing to pay a $1500 access fee.

All the while, this extra income for land owners will become an expectation or entitlement and once the government gives an entitlement, it never gets taken away. Especially if some of this fee money starts making it into the governer's campaign chest.

·
Registered
561 Posts
This is what concerns me. Sure, I may not be able to access to elk during hunting season but my hunting on the public ground this herd ALSO occupies could be affected.

The idea is that putting pressure on them from private land will move them back to public. This is a huge assumption. For that to work, the private tags would need to be aggressively hunted more so than on the public land. How many people are going to pay the $500-1500 access fee to do that? Not near as many as there will be hunting for $50 on public land. So if the metric the DWR is using to "move the herd" is pressure there will still never be as much pressure as on public especially during the general hunt.

Now the effect will be the private hunts will just serve as a population sink because some will be killed and it will reduce the population. That will lead to overall less hunting opportunity to people not willing to pay a $1500 access fee.

All the while, this extra income for land owners will become an expectation or entitlement and once the government gives an entitlement, it never gets taken away. Especially if some of this fee money starts making it into the governer's campaign chest.

The collar studies showed that 60% or more of the total in place population was living on private land year round. I hope they kill every last one of them! Everyone that is killed on private is one more we can grow on public, if nothing else it will give the public land herd a rest for a year or two. All of which means more opportunities for hunter in the future.

As far as conspiracy theories go, I think Donald trump founded Isis just so he could get elected, but the entitlement idea is a little far fetched for me....

·
Registered
218 Posts
The collar studies showed that 60% or more of the total in place population was living on private land year round. I hope they kill every last one of them! Everyone that is killed on private is one more we can grow on public, if nothing else it will give the public land herd a rest for a year or two. All of which means more opportunities for hunter in the future.

As far as conspiracy theories go, I think Donald trump founded Isis just so he could get elected, but the entitlement idea is a little far fetched for me....
Hearing that 60% stays on the land permanently is good to hear but how many of those 60% have off spring that emigrate off the private onto public?

Conspiracy theories when it comes to the politics of this state and the DWR are not hard to believe when there are blatant examples of cronyism, very little public disclosure, and political influence by a few special interest groups right before our eyes.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts