Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a letter a couple days ago from the Utah Reclamation Mitigation & Conservation Commission. This is the commission that oversees the June Sucker recovery program. As some of you may have been following this, I thought I would post the highlights. It should be interesting to see what the end result becomes.

"The Mitigation Commission and Interior both selected Alternative B as described in the final EIS, with the opportunity to increase the size of the project area beyond Alternative B, but only if additional land is offered for sale on a willing-seller basis. The Mitigation Commission and Interior also selected to implement Option 2 for the treatment of the existing Provo River channel."

"The majority or the rivers flow will be directed into the Alternative B property acquisition area, where braided channels and oxbow wetland features will be created to provide the needed aquatic habitat. The flow will continue into Utah Lake to the North of Utah Sate Park."

"Under Option 2, the existing Provo River channel will remain in place as a recreational feature (approximately the last 2 miles of the river before it enters Utah Lake). A portion of the river's flow will be supplied to the channel and a small dam will be constructed at the downstream end of the channel, near Utah Lake State Park. The dam will serve to maintain a relatively constant water elevation into the channel year round. An areation system will also be installed in this channel to improve water quality compared to what currently occurs, particularly in summer months. New trails will be incorporated into the project as well."

More information is available on the project website at www.provoriverdelta.us.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And speaking of Utah Lake.....

I promised the kids that I would take the for donuts if we could stop by the pond and fish for a while. We went to an area that has been producing a decent panfish bite. Right on cue, we started getting some bluegills and crappie. Since I had some vacuum sealed panfish in the freezer, we didn't need to keep any more. With an ultralight rod, I would hook them and the kids would reel them in. After a few minutes, we hooked up something with shoulders. As it was my boys turn, I handed over the rod and let him have at it, with some guidance. It took a bit, but got it in. A nice channel cat. He had his sister hold it for the pic.

We fished for a while longer, taking turns reeling in some small crappie and chunky bluegills, when the kids were beginning to chomp at the bit for donuts. Then another hookup with a biggun. It was my daughters turn. This one was also big, but it soon became apparent that it was REALLY big. I held the rod tip up for her and coached her during numerous runs, but she hung in there and we finally landed it. This one was quite a bit bigger. I had most of my gear still in the car, so we took the cat up to the vehicle for a measurement. When the measurement was taken, we whooped it up that it was 28 inches! We then released him for another of you to catch.

I was hoping that the kids would want more fishing after that, but they wanted to leave right after we caught a couple more each. Even large fish cannot compete with donuts. :roll:

·
Premium Member
2,327 Posts
Thanks for posting up the info, interesting stuff. Those be some nice cats for sure, great going dad and kids! You know Catherder, kids DO have priorities that take precedence, even in the face of giant fish! Well done...;-)

·
Premium Member
8,501 Posts
GREAT report Catherder. Thanks for sharing it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts