Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that many of us are or have been receiving our paper tags in the mail, I wanted to share an observation and warning.

We all know the DWR switched paper a couple years ago. While this new stock feels cheap to me, I don't think it is the cause of this issue. Printer alignment appears to be the culprit.

When you go to detach your permit from the mailer stock, be sure you don't simply tear along the dotted line. If you do you will lose the ability to notch the correct month out after your kill.

I used scissors to cut mine off. If one was not paying attention though, could be a set up for future harassment and unneeded fines.

I received a citation once for not notching one of the triangles. Not sure which one I forgot to notch because it was 15 or more years ago. I do remember that it was a $180+ fine.

In today's dollars, probably a lot more for such an innocent mistake. I believe they called it "failure to properly tag".

Good deed done for the season. Carry on.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
11,092 Posts
I had to go dig out my general deer tag for this year and look at it.

Everything appears to be fine on it with the perforations below the months and on the fold as it has been as long as I have gotten a full page of paper with my license and tag.

But it never hurts to take a good look at things before you start ripping and tearing

Reactions: Wire

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Wait until you attach that paper tag with electrical tape and see how well it holds together then they pull it back off to check to make sure everything is correct with the tag. those tags disintegrate when you pull them back off. That paper they are using now is absolute garbage. You’d think with all the millions they supposedly make every February off the tags they allow to be stolen from the public, they could afford to continue using the good paper. I’ve sent an email and told the people at the central office it is trash and they assured me it was just as good quality as the old style

·
Administrator
11,092 Posts
For attaching the tags you need to check out Arizonas system.

You peel off a adhesive back and then wrap it around the leg, antler or whatever with two sticky sides stuck to each other. Once on it isn't coming off unless it is cut off

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I think the DWR knows what it's doing and it's in YOUR best interest. If you think about it, all you hear about these days is the lack of animals on the landscape. The DWR has planned a head with easily dissolvable paper for your tag soup. You can apologize whenever you'd like at:

Salt Lake Office
1594 West North Temple, Suite 2110
Box 146301
Salt Lake City, UT 84114-6301
801-538-4700

Central Region
1115 N Main St.
Springville, UT 84663
801-491-5678
Northeastern Region
318 N Vernal Ave
Vernal, UT 84078
435-781-9453

Northern Region
515 E 5300 S
Ogden, UT 84405
801-476-2740
Southeastern Region
319 N Carbonville Rd, Suite A
Price, UT 84501
435-613-3700
Southern Region
1470 N Airport Rd
Cedar City, UT 84721
435-865-6100

Washington County Field Office
451 N SR-318
Hurricane, UT 84737
435-879-8694

·
Registered
11,155 Posts
For attaching the tags you need to check out Arizonas system.

You peel off a adhesive back and then wrap it around the leg, antler or whatever with two sticky sides stuck to each other. Once on it isn't coming off unless it is cut off
Uh.... there's an Ave video out there on anti-tamper stickers you might want to watch ;)

-DallanC

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I carry zip ties in my pack for attaching tags these days. Doesn't harm the tag (usually) and stays on.

My post is primarily about the fine you could get if you didn't have the triangles notched. Whether it was the fault of an uncalibrated printer or not.

When I got my ticket the officer was really looking for a reason to write a ticket that morning.

Picture it......

The year was 2003.
It was opening morning, gs deer season, not long after first light. Here I am standing on the fence line of private property with 4 dead deer, waiting for a ride.

He pulls up and the first words out of his mouth are "Made quick work of that didn't ya!?".

The officer proceeds to check licenses, etc. Does not fail to mention that it is all private property (which my family owned at the time) several times.

Eventually he gets to my deer and notices that I failed to notch a triangle.

The rest is history.

Be legal, make sure you're legal, cross your T's and dot those I's.

For the UWN record, I do not hold any sort of ill will towards the officer. He was doing his job and had everything been in order, he likely would not have satisfied his craving for a citation that morning. My fault entirely and it has not happened since.

At the time $180 was a lot of money for a young KineKilla.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
This thread reminds me of a time not that long ago when I was hunting with a guy that had just shot a big buck. He wasn’t a rookie hunter but was so wound up about his deer that he took his tag out of his wallet, license still attached and proceeded to just wrap that bad boy around one antler and start to tie it on. I was bafffled! I said “what the $&@“ are you doing? You need to cut the cut the tag and notch it still!” The dude looked at me like “oh **** you’re right” Potentially a very costly mental fart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,155 Posts
I've seen people do that... then get PO'd when they get called out and then have to cut it. They usually are planning to shoot a multiple deer with the same tag. Especially if they are pretty close to home where the drive from the kill site to their house is only a few miles with a near zero chance to stumble into a fish cop.

-DallanC

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I've seen people do that... then get PO'd when they get called out and then have to cut it. They usually are planning to shoot a multiple deer with the same tag. Especially if they are pretty close to home where the drive from the kill site to their house is only a few miles with a near zero chance to stumble into a fish cop.

-DallanC
Huh? Didn’t think about that! Only hunted with him once (a buddies friend) and haven’t hunted with him since. He meets your criteria so perhaps I saved a buck or 2?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,874 Posts

-DallanC
Wasn't that the protocall back in the late 70's, early 80's when you'd see 100 plus deer every day?

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I started a war with a guy on a Facebook community page over not cutting his tag on a late season cow (calf) elk and attaching the whole thing to her. He had it visible in the picture. Anyways, as you can imagine my comment about the legality of it wasn’t taken well and things blew up. Of all the threats I’ve had over the years of people who were going to come to my home and beat my ass, he was the only one who actually showed up. I didn’t know who he was, but apparently he knew me and where I lived 😂 that made for a very entertaining Tuesday night. From what I heard, he was getting a little greedy and taking more than his fair share on a few species.

cut your tags people. It’s not hard. And you don’t need more than what you have permits for.

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
Thanks for this heads up. My spike tag definitely was printed incorrectly and suffers from this issue. I haven’t opened the deer tag or cow elk tag to look.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Moose, I don't believe for one second that you could get into a "interweb fight" with anyone. Your to positive and forthcoming with information. ;)

So.... Please please tell us how did the Tuesday night Smackdown go? Did you retain your belt or have to surrender it?
we had an interesting F bomb exchange, he wasn’t a huge fan of my 2 labs that were present for the conversation. They shared a mutual feeling about him. He never did give me the ass beating that he promised. he left after 5 or so minutes. From what i understand, the County sheriff caught up with him a few weeks later with another improperly tagged animal, which prompted some digging and they ended up finding a few more serious violations before they were done with him, one of which was possession of a stolen firearm. That didn’t pan out well for him.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts