Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone willing to admit they've done it before? Or know someone that done it and lost a lot of points? What's some of the worst blunders you've heard of when putting in for the wrong hunt?

·
Administrator
10,907 Posts
A friend wasn't paying any attention and put in for a archery doe antelope tag here in Colorado. He had 15 points so naturally he drew the tag.

He did a lot of talking to turn that tag back in and get his points back. Colorado only has species points so they can be used for male or female.

I go over my application ever since I screwed up on a elk tag and asked for a OTC tag that I didn't realize was a very tough hunt.

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I just don’t know how you can do that. It makes you verify the hunt/unit at least 3 times, then sends you an email when you’re done! The only time I could really see it happening on accident is with a unit boundary change, or someone assumes they know which unit the area they want to hunt is, without confirming it first in the boundary description. I guess I could even see the wrong weapon application, but even then, you’ve gotta be pretty oblivious to the entire process to not catch that given the season dates are listed with the hunt options.

i hear these sad stories of people applying for the wrong hunts all the time (im sure a few of these victims of the system will pop up here as new members in a few weeks asking for places to go), which is always followed by “so since I drew this tag on accident, someone take pity on me and tell me where I need to go to shoot a 375bull/190buck. I think a lot of these stories usually start with this person tired of not drawing tags, they go researching draw odds, figure out what tags they can draw, draw the dam thing then attempt to make it someone else’s problem on where to go for this tag that’s for an area that they’ve never been to.

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
I'll be honest. Years ago I thought I put in for a any weapon buck antelope tag and was surprised when I got the email saying congrats on a archery tag. I just sucked it up and had a great time with a bow. Not successful but had some great memories of the hunt.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Kind of, sort of. I fell victim to my own screw-up applying for New Mexico last year. I meant to apply my son for 3 ram bighorn sheep hunt codes. Ended up applying for 2 ram hunts, and a ewe hunt for his third option. New Mexico reviews your entire application before moving on to the next one, so it isn't really a third option. Long story short, he drew a ewe tag. Ended up being a fantastic hunt and we had a great time, but that's the most expensive antlerless tag I've ever heard of.

Here's the story: New Mexico - Youth Ewe BHS Pecos Hunt

·
Registered
326 Posts
I have a close friend who shall remain unnamed who applied for a LE bull elk hunt in AZ but accidentally used the anterless code for the same unit. He was initially excited to find out he drew a tag but his excitement quickly subsided when he realized his error. He contacted the AZ Fish and Game to see if he culd surrender tag and get his bonus points back but they declined. He ultimately filed an appeal with the AZ equivalent of the Wildlife Board which was also denied. They simply told him that he should have paid the additional fees and purchase "point guard." Lesson learned - always double-check your hunt codes before clicking submit.

Hawkeye

·
Registered
42 Posts
My brother called me to ask if I would take his friend hunting in my deer unit last year because he had put in for the wrong unit and drew the tag. He's new to hunting so I don't blame him. It can be a bit confusing.

I also got to go elk hunting with my cousin when he drew a tag in a CWMU after putting in for the wrong hunt. Happy accidents. I called him Bob Ross the whole hunt. :)

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I haven't applied for the wrong hunt before, but I did mix up a couple CWMUs last year on a doe antelope hunt for my son. We applied and he received a tag for the Heist CWMU down by Enterprise. We had also applied for the Zane CWMU which is right there too. For some reason, a month or so before his hunt, I contacted the Zane operator and set everything up. Even had a follow-up call the week before making sure we were all set. The night before the hunt I pulled my son's tag out and "remembered" in horror that his hunt was for Heist and I'd been talking to the wrong ranch the whole time!

We got it figured out and it didn't mess up his hunt...other than there were no antelope on that ranch. I think that was probably the first unfilled antelope tag ever for us.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I have a close friend who shall remain unnamed who applied for a LE bull elk hunt in AZ but accidentally used the anterless code for the same unit. He was initially excited to find out he drew a tag but his excitement quickly subsided when he realized his error. He contacted the AZ Fish and Game to see if he culd surrender tag and get his bonus points back but they declined. He ultimately filed an appeal with the AZ equivalent of the Wildlife Board which was also denied. They simply told him that he should have paid the additional fees and purchase "point guard." Lesson learned - always double-check your hunt codes before clicking submit.

Hawkeye
I was going to tell that exact story, I am sure we are talking about the same guy. It's hammer time. That would be a tough one to swallow.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a non- resident friend that was planning on hunting deer in the SW desert this year but accidentally dropped his 12 preference points on the West desert, West unit instead. Oops 😬

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I have a non- resident friend that was planning on hunting deer in the SW desert this year but accidentally dropped his 12 preference points on the West desert, West unit instead. Oops 😬
At least he can turn the tag in and get his points back...I think. Or did they change that too? Been out of the big game loop the past couple years...

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
He can get the points back. Won’t get an additional one for this year
Ya I told him that but he would still loose about $450. He's just going to suck it up and give the west desert a go. I'm sure he'll still have a good time.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I did it this year. Central manti and central nebo are too close together for me I guess.

One thing I'd like to see is the ability to save your application choices prior to submitting. I'd like to work on it through the app period and submit as a batch once I have the whole plan together. I always feel like I'm racing the clock once I've started a session when applying.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts