Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Administrator
21,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went rabbit hunting late this afternoon after the snow stopped. With a .17 HMR I shot 3 rabbits, 2 cottontails and a pygmy rabbit. The pygmy rabbit was about 40 yards away and I thought it was a cottontail.

Though not illegal, the Wyoming Game and Fish asks that we refrain from harvesting pygmy rabbits. Their numbers are dwindling throughout the west. But we still have some good populations of pygmy rabbits in Southwest Wyoming. They are about 33% to 50% smaller than cottontails. They are more brownish overall and have a distinctive all brown tail, versus the overall gray cottontail with a white and gray tail.

At a distance with open sights it's hard to tell them apart. I have shot and ate a few in the past and they are poor table fare, tasting like rabbit bush.

Also:
Seen a nice buck with a bad leg.

Found 3 frozen dead bobcat carcasses piled up in a road culvert???? Looks like they had been there awhile and the magpies had been working on them. Strange, I found a long-frozen bobcat still in a trap in the same culvert about 5 years ago.

·
Administrator
21,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Riverrat77 said:
.............About the pygmy rabbits.... how thick are they out in the desert? Or.. is it just up in that corner that they are equally mixed with the cottons?
Pygmy rabbits are rare, found only in pockets here and there. Evanston, Rock Springs, Woodruff and Randolph has them. Quite a bunch of them left in eastern Washington. They are found with the cottontails. Marty Stouffer of "Wild America" came to, and stayed in, Evanston years ago to film Pygmys. He filmed some up the canyon out of Woodruff UT below the reservoir. Never made a show about them as far as I know.

My son-in-law and I track the resident population of Pygmys east of Evanston. It's easy, we spend alot of time out there hunting prairie dogs, coyotes, antelope, sage grouse and cottontails anyway. Annually, I turn in the findings to the Wyoming Wildlife Diversity Data Bank at the University of Wyoming.

·
Administrator
21,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.