Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a float tube for Christmas (FINALLY! WOOOOO!) :lol: and am thinking of heading out to either Quail or Sand Hollow to hit the deeper waters to try and catch some bass. I have never fished for bass in the winter before but I know it can be very difficult because of how inactive they tend to be this time of year. Nevertheless, I am willing to give it a try, and just getting my float tube out on the water will be fun.

Are there any winter bassfishing tactics that are likely to increase my chances of catching something this time of year? Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Use a dropshot rig with about 10 inches of line between your sinker and bait. Fish so slow that it takes 3 or 4 minutes to retrieve your casts and use small plastics almost exclusively. Try some of the yamamoto shad shape worms, they can't be beat on that dropshot. You might be disappointed with the slow fishing at sand hollow or quail this time of year, so don't hold any grudges that will keep you away come Spring. If you don't know how to make a drop shot, google it and there's a bunch of sites that show you how to tie it. One more thing, winter time is one of the few times of year when the fish often bite better in the middle of the day, so you might want to wait till about mid morning before venturing out.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts