Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How is it any other state has any money for wildlife, without making millions of dollars off of conservation and convention tag sales?????

I really want to know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not finished hunting. :mrgreen:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You love me, just admit it. *(u)*
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
824 Posts
Well, one ugly truth about beuractatic government agencies is if you add a million dollars to their budget they will find a way to spend it and will tell you the next year they would not be able to function with out it.

I know we need money and I'm sure we could spend a billion on habitat and management if it was available. Question is at what cost are we willing to increase the money spent on Wildlife management? Our ability to hunt each year?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,222 Posts
Treehugnhuntr said:
How is it any other state has any money for wildlife, without making millions of dollars off of conservation and convention tag sales?????

I really want to know.
Wyoming, and Idaho have SFW's of their own that they came to us for help setting it up. There are many others including Alaska that are wanting the same thing. I believe that is the main reason the Eastman has issues. He was dethroned in Wyoming becuase SFW is everything about what Mike is. Fair chase, public land and big critters.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,174 Posts
elk22hunter said:
Treehugnhuntr said:
How is it any other state has any money for wildlife, without making millions of dollars off of conservation and convention tag sales?????

I really want to know.
Wyoming, and Idaho have SFW's of their own that they came to us for help setting it up. There are many others including Alaska that are wanting the same thing. I believe that is the main reason the Eastman has issues. He was dethroned in Wyoming becuase SFW is everything about what Mike is. Fair chase, public land and big critters.
Alaska now has SFW there, and New Mexico is getting it going there.

No other state, in fact combine ALL the western states and Utah equals/surpasses them, in acres recovered and improved. The NUMBER ONE difference is conservation tag generated money. It is spending a dollar and getting five dollars back. I believe the conservation tags are a GREAT DEAL and a solid investment in wildlife for now AND the future.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
272 Posts
Treehugnhuntr said:
How is it any other state has any money for wildlife, without making millions of dollars off of conservation and convention tag sales?????

I really want to know.
Colorado and Wyoming have habitat stamps that generates money for wildlife. Everyone purchases one and the money goes to habitat. Utah had one at one time then it got rolled into the cost of the general licenses and heavens knows where it gets spent now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
proutdoors said:
elk22hunter said:
Treehugnhuntr said:
How is it any other state has any money for wildlife, without making millions of dollars off of conservation and convention tag sales?????

I really want to know.
Wyoming, and Idaho have SFW's of their own that they came to us for help setting it up. There are many others including Alaska that are wanting the same thing. I believe that is the main reason the Eastman has issues. He was dethroned in Wyoming becuase SFW is everything about what Mike is. Fair chase, public land and big critters.
Alaska now has SFW there, and New Mexico is getting it going there.

No other state, in fact combine ALL the western states and Utah equals/surpasses them, in acres recovered and improved. The NUMBER ONE difference is conservation tag generated money. It is spending a dollar and getting five dollars back. I believe the conservation tags are a GREAT DEAL and a solid investment in wildlife for now AND the future.
I agree 100% that conservation tags are a fantastic thing.....just not in the outrageous amounts that they are given out in Utah. I know SFW is in many western states and fairly recently in Alaska. I think they will continue (Along with other orgs, but lets face it, they are top dog) to do good things.

Some of the orgs are becoming very governmentesque in their quests, this is creating more beaurocracy which IMO is not always bad. It allows them to speak the language of the rest of the beaurocrats and often times allows them to succeed in areas that would have been difficult without their lingual multiplicity(I have no idea what that means ? ).

The problem is, it's not black and white. The price any of us pay in order to "obtain" should always be open to scrutiny. I could work more and "obtain" more money, things and the like, but the prices I would pay are not worth it to me. My "limits" are just that, mine, and no one gets to decide that for me. So, what price are "we" paying for the things that are created by these moneys? Are these prices acceptable to all? 90%? 30%? That's where I think the data is skewed and/or nonexistent. I don not feel like the majority is being considered when these things are taking place.

I know, I know.....let your voice be heard.....stop complaining and do something.....show up. But here is the bottom line. Anyone who has been to RAC meeting or that has dealt with the beaurocracy knows that you don't have to get the majority on your side to make things happen, just the right people. You know that better than any of us Bart.

It's like the school voucher referendum, there is a small percentage of people who send their kids to private schools in Utah. Would it be ok if they passed it even though the majority was against it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,174 Posts
Treehugnhuntr said:
It's like the school voucher referendum, there is a small percentage of people who send their kids to private schools in Utah. Would it be ok if they passed it even though the majority was against it?
Hell yes! :twisted: :mrgreen:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
proutdoors said:
Treehugnhuntr said:
It's like the school voucher referendum, there is a small percentage of people who send their kids to private schools in Utah. Would it be ok if they passed it even though the majority was against it?
Hell yes! :twisted: :mrgreen:
:rotfl:

Hopefully my tone doesn't come accross as hostile, because I am not. I would just like to see a little more WIN/WIN going on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
824 Posts
Very good post Tree.


To bad about those vouchers :cry: Pro, I think you and I would see eye to eye on many things, just not all things.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
10000ft. said:
To bad about those vouchers :cry: Pro, I think you and I would see eye to eye on many things, just not all things.
I agree. I'm out 5000 scoots a year, but that's MY choice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It is spending a dollar and getting five dollars back.
I realize your comment was analogous, but I would rather have 1 dollar every year, than 5 dollars every 20.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,174 Posts
10000ft. said:
To bad about those vouchers :cry: Pro, I think you and I would see eye to eye on many things, just not all things.
That is OK, I don't agree with myself at times. :shock:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,175 Posts
Good post, Tye. It isn't black and white and it shouldn't be "them" and "us". Unfortunately, there are a lot of good folks who either can't or won't ever see it that way. Understandable, but unfortunate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
790 Posts
utfireman said:
I am proposing that we bring a state lottery back on the ballot and vote on it. Half the money going to the schools and then the other half going to wildlife........
Are you suggesting that half of the money from the permit draws go to public education? Utah already has a lottery and you enter it just to get a deer tag. Be careful what you ask for because there maybe someone on the hill that is watching this board and would love to find another source for educational funding. And if you would like to know about where your public education dollars are being spent and how little Lilly Escalson is being paid go Here: http://www.utahsright.com/h_salaries.php

Some of you people crack me up! Oh my goodness, Don Peay and SFW are the devil in proda and will end all hunting in the West if we do not stop him!!!! We must end all conservation permits because this is basterdizing the sport. I am only a purist if I meat hunt and all trophy hunters are evil! Please Fish & Game manage for nothing, because that is the only fair way to manage our wildlife resources!

For all of you sports minded purests please visit this site, http://www.greenpeace.org/usa/ And all of your dreams will be granted…….Bigbr
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,174 Posts
bigbr said:
utfireman said:
I am proposing that we bring a state lottery back on the ballot and vote on it. Half the money going to the schools and then the other half going to wildlife........
Are you suggesting that half of the money from the permit draws go to public education? Utah already has a lottery and you enter it just to get a deer tag. Be careful what you ask for because there maybe someone on the hill that is watching this board and would love to find another source for educational funding. And if you would like to know about where your public education dollars are being spent and how little Lilly Escalson is being paid go Here: http://www.utahsright.com/h_salaries.php

Some of you people crack me up! Oh my goodness, Don Peay and SFW are the devil in proda and will end all hunting in the West if we do not stop him!!!! We must end all conservation permits because this is basterdizing the sport. I am only a purist if I meat hunt and all trophy hunters are evil! Please Fish & Game manage for nothing, because that is the only fair way to manage our wildlife resources!

For all of you sports minded purests please visit this site, http://www.greenpeace.org/usa/ And all of your dreams will be granted…….Bigbr
You are making a lot of sense! _(O)_ 8)
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top