Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old recurve my grandpa built when he owned his archery shop and I have not shot it for a couple years and today I decided to get it out and do some shooting. my question is the arrows I had made for this bow (easton camo hunters 2113) shot great but today I could not get any of them to fly straight they were moving all over and I only had one or two hit the target straight on at 20 yards. is that just me or could there be something wrong with the arrows or bow after not being shot for so long? the bow has to be around 20 years old and the last time I shot it I killed a deer with it and the arrows were flying straight then.

·
Registered
334 Posts
This question is a can of worms as it's so open ended not being able to see it in person, but I would start by checking the following first -

1. brace height and poundage now vs. back then?
2. limb twist - is the string line straight down the middle of the riser ???
3. check the tiller to make sure the bottom limb has not gone soft.
4. has your draw length changed from when you used to shoot it ???
5. tab or glove then vs. now ???

Those are the things that I'd look at first. There are infinite ways to screw up with fingers but the main thing is draw length, poundage and the bow straightness.

If you're not drawing it all the way to it's original draw length, or the poundage has gone down significantly, it will make the arrow act stiff enough that the nock end will hit the riser causing contact and crazy arrow flight. This is tough to read at the target or in seeing how the arrow flies. If it's a weak arrow reaction it just sends most of the fliers low right for a right hander vs contact that goes all over the place.

That's my hit list, but I might have missed something pretty big right off so don't laugh too hard when you find it's some thing completely different :)

Cheers,
Pete

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Pete is the man to talk recurve's so I imagine your issue is one of them. I would guess your release isn't as good as it was. One day I will get in the trad game but I don't have the time yet to learn and shoot it the way I need to.

Reactions: wyogoob

·
Registered
175 Posts
Pete is right on. I would guess twisted limb or simply bad release since you haven't shot in a long while. Take it back out tomorrow and try it again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts