Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently picked up a Savage 16 gauge semi automatic,it is an older gun and I was told by the firearms guy at Cabellas that they did not make a plug for it.Its a model 755 made in approx.1950s there any way To put a plug in it,Im going down south for 3 day dove hunt and would like to take this shotgun.There is a spring in the mag.but it doesn't come out.Am I missing something here?

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I've got a 16 gauge Ithaca pump. In order to plug it, I just cut a dowel that fits inside of the spring and limits the magazine to two shells. Two in the mag and one in the pipe.

⫸<{{{{{⦇°>

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Mossbergs come with exactly that, 1/4" dowel...but it has a couple rubber O-ring gaskets on each end, which I assume keeps it from slipping under mechanisms like springs.

Numrich sells the same magazine plug for the 755 as almost every other shotgun on the site, so it's got to be a pretty standard setup in the tube:

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/ad/252090.htm#252090H

Honestly, I've been thinking of getting one of those because the idea of an oak dowel bouncing around in the mag tube makes me nervous with the possibility of pieces splintering off the end.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Why would the ends splinter? The dowel in my shotgun is over 40 years old and it hasn't splintered.

⫸<{{{{{⦇°>

Reactions: swbuckmaster

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Why would the ends splinter? The dowel in my shotgun is over 40 years old and it hasn't splintered.

⫸<{{{{{⦇°>
Because it already has.

The last time I took it out, the plug had some splinters missing from the ends. While I was putting shells in, I got to the fifth one and found that it rattled back and forth in the mag. I pushed on it a few times eventually it sprung forward but I wasn't convinced so I cycled all the shells out and when the last one came out, a little splinter fell out with it.

I may have had the dowel get damaged a little while it was bouncing around in my ammo can outside the waterfowl season, so it probably took the damage then. If you keep your plug in all the time it's probably never had the chance to get banged up.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I've got a 16 gauge Ithaca pump. In order to plug it, I just cut a dowel that fits inside of the spring and limits the magazine to two shells. Two in the mag and one in the pipe.

<{{{{{°>
That's how my Dad's Ithaca is plugged too. Seems to have worked fine for the last 30+ years.

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
I've seen all sorts of ******* devices for plugs but the old tried and true wood dowel seems to be as good as any and cheap as heck. Heck I have even seen guys use a brand new #2 pencil like we used in school

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
My having problems with an oak dowel plug is directly related my inexperience with shotguns. The shotgun I have is the first one I've owned, but it's still my fault for letting the dowel get damaged and then using it while it was a little banged up.

Getting a dowel to use as a plug may be about the same cost as a plastic plug, but the thing about getting the dowel is that then you have the rest of that dowel bouncing around....I don't know about you guys but having scrap wood laying around fills me with an undeniable urge to start a project with it.

·
Super Moderator
3,403 Posts
I've seen all sorts of ******* devices for plugs but the old tried and true wood dowel seems to be as good as any and cheap as heck. Heck I have even seen guys use a brand new #2 pencil like we used in school
Glad to see that someone actually found a good use for some of those #2 pencils that were "required" at school!:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts