Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does it matter how far off of a road you are while duck hunting?? Are there seperate distance reqiurments when it comes to a shotgun vs a rifle?? I couldnt find anything in the proc, only that you cannot discharge the firearm from the road, or shoot across a road? Thanks for any info or interpretation of the law.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I believe its 100 feet from any "improved" road, and you obviously cant shoot back across the road. Look at your upland game proclimation, it should be in there.

Where are you hunting to be asking this type of question?

·
Registered
599 Posts
In the BRBR you have to be 100 yards from the road to shoot. I think if you are talkin about your average road, it ends where the private or public property begins like a fence or where the embankment of the road ends.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Harry Nutzack said:
I believe its 100 feet from any "improved" road, and you obviously cant shoot back across the road. Look at your upland game proclimation, it should be in there.

Where are you hunting to be asking this type of question?
I have found a guy that will lest us hunt his private property for ducks, problem is its only about 200 feet of I-15. I wouldnt think of shooting towards the road, But as long as our backs are towards it our shots would always be going away from the highway. There are a ton of ducks that are buzzing this pond all day long(even woodies) :D . Kinda want to set up some dekes, but thought I better chack to see if there is a law on distance from a highway.

All I can find in any of the procs is that you cannot shoot from a vehicle, or from or across a roadway, and you have to be 600 feet from a house, building, or any type of structure that can hold livestock. I cant see anything saying how far from a road you have to be

·
Registered
10 Posts
It is unlawful to discharge any kind of firearm from any vehicle or from, upon, or across any public
highway,
within Utah State Park buildings, designated camp or picnic sites, overlooks, golf courses, boat
ramps, and developed beaches; or without written permission to discharge the dangerous weapon from the
owner or person in charge of the property within 600 feet of a house, dwelling, or any other building; or
any structure in which a domestic animal is kept or fed, including a barn, poultry yard, corral, feeding
pen, or stockyard.

10.64.010 Discharge restrictions generally.
It is unlawful for any person to discharge any firearm, gun, sparrow gun, flipper or similar contrivance within the limits of the county except in a careful and prudent manner, and in such designated area as the commission shall by proclamation appoint. Areas so designated shall be indicated by the posting of appropriate signs and markings thereon. (Prior code § 16-4-9)
10.64.020 Rifles, shotguns and handguns- Defined-Discharge restrictions.
A. It is unlawful for any person, including hunters, to discharge any kind of rifle or handgun within one mile of any residential area, or where buildings are located or people reside, or to discharge any rifle or handgun upon, over or across any road, lane or highway, or in the direction of any buildings, whether commercial, industrial or residential, within the county. Any person violating any provision of this section shall be guilty of a Class B misdemeanor and fined not less than twenty-five dollars nor more than two hundred ninety-nine dollars, or six months in jail, or both such fine and imprisonment. This chapter shall not prevent the discharge of any firearms by any peace officer in the performance of his duty.
B. It is also unlawful to fire any shotgun or pellet gun in the proximity of any person. building or residence where the discharge thereof shall possibly or even remotely endanger any person, regardless of the distance, or to fire any such gun from or across any road or highway.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for that info jeorv. Its looks like it will be ok as long as we shoot in a careful and prudent manner.

I just figured if there was some sort of problem we wouldnt be dealing with the DWR guys, it would most likely be Highway Patrol. I guess this info somewhat gives me a pot to piss in while pleading my case. Wish us luck. We WILL be hitting this pond in the morning!!!! :D :D *-band-*

·
Registered
863 Posts
That's just what I'd want to do......shoot my shotgun right next to I-15....If I were you....I'd find a different spot....As a son of a UHP trooper, I'm pretty sure your hunting will be interrupted by a trooper or two. Passers by will be a headache......

just my two cents.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.