Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to hear your thoughts about an experience a friend of mine had while hunting a very well known, large CWMU in Northern Utah for bull elk. He hunted with a guide for several days taking the guides advice on where to hunt. He felt like he was being oversold on some of the smaller bulls he was seeing. Being encouraged to take some non-typicals like 6x2's. "The guides were saying "you wont find a more unique bull than that one".

Ultimately they encountered a really nice bull and the guide muttered "he is not supposed to be in this area". My friend was highly discouraged from shooting the bull. They saw the same bull again a few days later. He was told if he shot the bull the guide would lose his job.

My friend did not shoot that bull because he had compassion for the guide and did not shoot it. However it is pretty obvious he was being directed away from certain bulls and areas. Is this common? Is there any recourse? Should this be reported to the DWR?

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
I think I would talk to someone about it! How about the people in charge of the hunt? Sounds like he didn't pay enough for that particular bull? A bunch of B.S.

·
Premium Member
8,501 Posts
Was your friend hunting on a public draw tag, or did he or someone else purchase the hunt?

Reactions: Huge29

·
Registered
580 Posts
by all means report it and have him post full details as to what when where and how he was discriminated. the whole purpose of the cwmu program is to give the regular hunter the same chance at that the high paying cliental have. if not than there needs to be a formal complaint made to the dwr. I have been on some cwmu that are operated the way the program was designed and some that were questionable. the simple fact is that while they own the property they do not own the wildlife if your friend wanted this animal than he should have been given the chanch to harvest him period, so please for the sake of those who may want to this ranch in the future turn them in maybe if they lose there cwmu status they will learn to follow the rules.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Sounds pretty shady to me! Just because he didn't "pay enough" to harvest that particular bull, gimme a break. He had the tag!

I would have shot it.

·
Premium Member
8,501 Posts
Did your friend harvest an elk?

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
I know where this happened and this is the 4th story, with the exact same story in 2 years. 2 antelope hunters and another elk Hunter that i personally know. By all means report this bs!

Reactions: Bax*

·
Premium Member
8,501 Posts
So, in the 4 cases, did your friends harvest elk and pronghorns on their hunts?

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
No, only 1 antelope was harvested after it was chased 2 miles in a vehicle and the person shot it from the top of The vehicles roof while standing on top of it. That person was also told not to harvest specific animals. This hunter was given a tag as a token of appreciation for a great year of sales. Not a public hunter like the other 3. Same bs happened though. I guess since the buyer wasnt there he was treated like a public hunter.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
If the original post is correct then he should file a complaint with the UDWR and submit his statement/show up at the CWMU Advisory Committee hearing to deal with the complaint. (That is if the UDWR can't resolve the issue before the hearing)

The only way to clean up the program is to submit valid complaints. What is described above is not what the CWMU program is about. Your friend should have been able to shoot a spike or the largest bull they saw. The guide can not tell the hunter what he can or can not shoot. (Only Pauns mgt deer tags are restricted)

Encourage him to contact the Region office and submit a complaint.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I ll tell ya a little story about a cwmu that was sanctioned and placed on probation due to problem I ran into a few years back I wont mention the unit as they already payed there pittance but here is the story: after drawing this permit I made contact with the operator and since it was a large section of property I decided that there little tour did me absolutely no good so I told them I wanted to be guided this all went well I was even given the name and phone # of this person who I tried to make contact with finally two days before the hunt we chatted and I told him that my son and I would drive to the properties from home each morning and would meet him at the ranch entrance first day saw a group of elk with a bull I was willing to go after and was talked out of it because according to him we could do a lot better and it would be a tough approach so following the old phrase don't guide the guide I didn't say to much other than it look like there was a trail that would lead us right into the animals his quite I been guiding here for years and there aint no trail, that after noon much to his dismay we found a road that led to a quarter mile of elk but by the time we got there the elk had made a exit at which point the guide said **** they must have put the road in this summer and this was his first trip on the ranch this season. there were a few other things happen but the kicker was the third after noon we got into a bunch of elk and there were talking up a storm cows calf and bulls were all chatten away well we cow called afew times and had the whole bunch coming into to us they were so close we could see a few of the lead animals and my son and the quide could see the bull but I had a bad angle when all of a sudden the guide let out a alarm bark on his cow call it went from elk central to crickets in seconds both the boy and I gave the guide looks that would have melted steel and he just shrugged a few minutes later the bull s started to bugle and my son said well ole timer lets take the fight to the dog and we got up and off we went and luckily cut the herd of and I took an fine bull out of the herd. after a bit of thinking after I got home I came to the conclusion that while I may have been saddled by a incompetent guide it was still the managers problem as he was hiring this man out and should have known his abilities better so a filled a formal complaint which had to be ansuered after a investigation was conducted. to me the system worked as they were held accountable even if it was a years probation and firing this said guide so by all means file a complaint and let them answer the complaint

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I believe there is a way to fill out a report with the CWMU program or DWR. Sounds like his hunt played out in a way that goes against the stated intent of the program. I'm not going to pretend I'm surprised by this behavior in the least.

·
Super Moderator
3,528 Posts
I believe it would be helpful to post the name of the CWMU's where the problems occur. With the application period opening shortly, it might help fellow sportsman's in their decision to apply or not apply for said CWMU.

I echo what has been said, things like this should not happen. I would encourage people, who feel like they have been treated wrongly, to report such incidents.

·
Senior Goof
3,620 Posts
Maybe I am an **s**l*, but I would have shot that there bull. I spend my points, and a decade +?? I am gonna shoot the elk, and let them try and do something about it. Turn me in to the DWR? Ha, and get your CWMU shut down.

That is just me. But I also won't be wasting my points on a CWMU for this very reason. If you want to, great... But do some research beforehand. I know many guides and operators... they don't admit it but I see pictures year in and year out of the "state hunters" game and the "_____ corporation" animals taken. The state are never as impressive. Nice 150" bucks, maybe 300-310" elk... but not the 180+ and 320+ that they somehow contently find for the paid hunters. I expect variation... but the best state animals seem to be just below the smallest paid animals.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
well I'd rather read about these stories on the internet instead of seeing a complaint filed or the CWMU actually being named. That way people can continue putting in for these areas and have negative experiences and keep up the cycle so we have more threads like these each year. :-o ;-)

·
Senior Goof
3,620 Posts
well I'd rather read about these stories on the internet instead of seeing a complaint filed or the CWMU actually being named. That way people can continue putting in for these areas and have negative experiences and keep up the cycle so we have more threads like these each year. :-o ;-)
The OP maybe was avoiding being "That guy" that has people jump down his throat for slander... Which I am ok with, because that does happen here.

However, the guy should absolutely file a complaint. That is the way this is handled.

And just to repeat, the bull should have been shot!

·
Premium Member
8,501 Posts
So to get this straight -
A guy draws a CWMU tag. The tag comes with a guided hunt, on private lands. The hunter harvests a bull elk/buck antelope/buck deer -
But files a complaint because he wanted to shoot a bigger one, but the guide wouldn't let him? Does that sum it up?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So to get this straight -
A guy draws a CWMU tag. The tag comes with a guided hunt, on private lands. The hunter harvests a bull elk/buck antelope/buck deer -
But files a complaint because he wanted to shoot a bigger one, but the guide wouldn't let him? Does that sum it up?
Yes, that pretty much sums it up. He did kill a bull but much smaller than the one the guide asked him not to shoot. Even after he was told in pre hunt meetings that he could shoot any bull he sees.

I did not post the name of the CWMU because it is my friends experience. If it had been my hunt, I would have posted the name of the CWMU.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Don't hesitate to report any misgivings with a CWMU. They are afforded the ability to make a LOT of money because of the program. Selling 20 bull tags for 6-7k each would be a lot harder to do if they had to play by the conventional rules and seasons.-----SS

1 - 20 of 43 Posts