Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening everyone. I can't express how excited I am to hunt here in Utah. I recently got stationed here in Utah (Hill AFB). I've been hunting for 20 years now but it's all been back home on my farm in Virginia. I've been doing a lot of research on Muley hunting and I'm looking towards the challenge. I put in for archery for units that I though I would have a good chance in drawing (wasatch front, Fillmore, Ogden, cache and Monroe). I also applied for the DH program as well for the same units. So enough typing... What are my chances of drawing this year with the zero points since I'm a new resident? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and looking forward to chatting.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
IF I'm not mistaken you should have almost a 100% chance for Archery Deer on most of the general units, less of a chance on the LE units.

I think you can usually buy an over the counter tag for archery? Someone will chime in that knows for sure. Study your chosen areas though, I know Ogden has a lot of private ground (I used to hunt it).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help. I've pulled up each unit and noticed that there is quite a bit of private land on cache and Ogden. Whoever draws a moose tag in Ogden shouldn't have a problem tagging out. Haha. I ride my four wheeler up towards Mantua and see moose everytime I go. How about the dedicated hunters program? Is it hard to draw first time with 0 pref points?

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Don't know about the DH program but I can tell you it's really not finding the Moose that's the problem...it's the 20+ year wait to actually draw the tag that poses the biggest challenge.

I have 8 points and if things stay the way they are I'll be collecting social security before I ever draw a moose permit. I'm 36.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Looks like you have a decent shot at choices 1, 3, and 4. Not great for Fillmore. Basically no chance of Monroe.

WASATCH WEST - 68%
FILLMORE - 31%
ODGEN - 93%
CACHE - 97%
MONROE - 2%

·
Registered
501 Posts
Looks like you have a decent shot at choices 1, 3, and 4. Not great for Fillmore. Basically no chance of Monroe.

WASATCH WEST - 68%
FILLMORE - 31%
ODGEN - 93%
CACHE - 97%
MONROE - 2%
I should that these are the results from last year's drawing. Applications move around a bit each year.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I think you can usually buy an over the counter tag for archery?
you can for elk but the deer tags left over from the draw are extremely limited. last year when they opened up for left over OTC tags they went fast. if i recall, box elder was the only tag left. could be wrong though.

it's been trending that way for a few years but last year was definitely a surprise.

·
Super Moderator
9,611 Posts
For the last couple of years there have been disappointed hunters that put archery down as their second choice and ended up not drawing because they all went the first go around in the draw.

Anymore if you want to hunt you need to put your choice down as a first choice and not hope for the leftovers. That is unless you have access to private ground in the northern part of the state.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts