Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone knows where I can find some cottontail in the Bicknell-Loa-Torrey area. I bring my boys down here for Thanksgiving weekend every year for a bunny hunt. We hunted down here this afternoon and saw one cottontail. Hunted 3 different areas where we have always found them and they weren't there. I wonder if the drought has taken a toll down here. Any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
I'm sure that the drought has hurt them... its the same or worse down here in Vegas, although in a couple hours I'm going out to chase jacks. I won't be shooting cottons on the advice of some of the fellows locally. I guess its a little too early for them here yet because its so warm. Thats a bummer that your good spots are barren this year.... could it also be the "cycle"? I'd imagine if you go down just to visit, that locals probably also know the area and it might have just gotten hit or something. At least now you'll have the opportunity to explore other spots... just look for similar habitat and if you found them there before, areas with the same habitat should hold rabbits also... at least thats what I've found when I've hunted them before. 8)

·
Registered
961 Posts
Not sure about that area, but when I was in the foothills of the book cliffs this summer there were cottontails by the hundreds. Youl couldn't walk 5 min without jumping 2-3.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts