Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any good places just outside of Midway to hunt cottontails (using a traditional bow) spot and stalk? I saw that the Wasatch Mountain State Park takes up a lot of land around the outside of town and I'm pretty sure hunting's not legal there. Are there any public lands that aren't too hard to access on foot with the snow? We're coming down from Logan a lot lately and looking for something to do with my son while my fiance has appointments. Thanks!!

·
Registered
127 Posts
My guide from 2014 say's Wastach state park open to small and big game huniting. This is a bit outdated so you may want to check.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Then it's probably legal. I'll call DR to check. I was assuming it wasn't just because it's a state park.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
You'll probably have more luck finding cross country skiers and snowshoers in Wasatch Mnt State Park. ;-)

·
Registered
133 Posts
For rabbits you are much better off looking for sagebrush and desert areas than heading to the mountains.

·
Super Moderator
9,631 Posts
For rabbits you are much better off looking for sagebrush and desert areas than heading to the mountains.
Unless you are looking for snowshoe rabbits or hares and then you are going to have to get up into the spruce forest to find them.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I know. That's where I go usually. But, I was looking for something to do while I already have to be in that area anyway. I'm thinking the Wallsburg WMA will be my first choice. My fiance's appointments are about 1.5 hours and we have to drop her off, get where we're going, set out for rabbits and be back to pick her up in time. So, need to stay in the immediate area.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
My fiance's appointments are about 1.5 hours and we have to drop her off, get where we're going, set out for rabbits and be back to pick her up in time. So, need to stay in the immediate area.
Could she drop you off and pick you up? That could extend your time with your boy to hunt.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Could she drop you off and pick you up? That could extend your time with your boy to hunt.
It's a medical appt. because she hasn't been doing to well. So, I've been doing the driving. She probably could, but I'd feel bad asking her. I take him other times from home and we have more time. Just looking for something to do instead of sit in a waiting room for 1.5 hours. Also, best if we have the car and stuff in case he's done before that (he's only 3.5 years old but loves to follow me while I bunny hunt :) ).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wallsburg WMA has some good spots but I was disappointed to find that it is closed for a "seasonal closure for motorized vehicles on the WMA from December 1 to April 30."
Otherwise there are cottontails and jacks.

·
Super Moderator
9,631 Posts
Wallsburg WMA has some good spots but I was disappointed to find that it is closed for a "seasonal closure for motorized vehicles on the WMA from December 1 to April 30."
Otherwise there are cottontails and jacks.
That is what your feet and legs are for.

·
Registered
3 Posts
True, but its quite the hike to where the rabbits are. If your short on time it may be problematic. Also, the Wallsaburg WMA has this recommentation from the DNR..."You should limit any wildlife-disturbing activities during this period." Whatever that means...

·
Super Moderator
9,631 Posts
Also, the Wallsaburg WMA has this recommentation from the DNR..."You should limit any wildlife-disturbing activities during this period." Whatever that means...
It usually means that if there are any deer, elk, moose or other large animals to leave them be and to go somewhere else.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts