Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't see a thread hashing this out, so might as well start one for fun. No one had any scathing opinions on the new LE season? Or the muzz magnification? Or are you all like me with just a blah attitude about this....

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I heard 3 out of the 5 voted down the extra magnification on the muzzies.

Reactions: shortbreath54

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
But I do have a big case of the blaahhs and I am fairly involved. I am getting to the point of just enjoying what I have till the treehuggers and feds take it all away from us. Sad state of mind I know but I would hate to not enjoy what I currently have because I was so worried about what hasn't or could happen.

·
Registered
10,214 Posts
But I do have a big case of the blaahhs and I am fairly involved. I am getting to the point of just enjoying what I have till the treehuggers and feds take it all away from us. Sad state of mind I know but I would hate to not enjoy what I currently have because I was so worried about what hasn't or could happen.
Bingo. Live in the now, enjoy it... there is plenty to be grateful for.

-DallanC

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Bingo. Live in the now, enjoy it... there is plenty to be grateful for.

-DallanC
This sounds like something that could have been said around the table at Thanksgiving. Maybe it was?

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
I went to alot of RAC meetings during the 90's....

The problem is I'm a hunter, NOT a politician.....
So I quit going.......;-)

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do have somewhat of a vested interest in the additional LE season on the Wasatch. It seems like an interesting idea, one that should lower overall harvest rates so I like that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,963 Posts
The topics have been hashed out already when the packets came out. But I'll oblige.

The more I have thought about the October LE rifle elk hunt, the less I like it. I like even less being proposed on the Manti and Wasatch. If these were additional tags, and the herds could obsorb them, then I'd be more okay with it than I am currently. But I don't like it. Additionally, spike hunters don't need big bull hunters screwing things up for them.

I'm okay with magnification scopes on the muzzy hunts. I muzzy hunt deer sometimes, but not every year. I think it would be an acceptable change. I understand why some people don't want them. But I'm okay with it.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Let me just try to understand ... how are treehuggers in your way? Weren't "treehuggers" allies of hunters when it comes to fighting ski resort expansion? Aren't "treehuggers" allies of hunters when it comes to rich people and/or energy interests in bed with state government grabbing public land? I might be naive and pragmatic here, but what's on your mind?

·
Registered
6,963 Posts
Let me just try to understand ... how are treehuggers in your way? Weren't "treehuggers" allies of hunters when it comes to fighting ski resort expansion? Aren't "treehuggers" allies of hunters when it comes to rich people and/or energy interests in bed with state government grabbing public land? I might be naive and pragmatic here, but what's on your mind?
Tree huggers and the feds should not be your biggest worries in Utah right now. Your own state and hunting organization's are doing much more to take hunting away than tree huggers and the feds.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Tree huggers and the feds should not be your biggest worries in Utah right now. Your own state and hunting organization's are doing much more to take hunting away than tree huggers and the feds.
Vanilla,
I was just naming a few but as you mention there are plenty more parties that make put our love of hunting in a perilous situation. And SLC the treehuggers may be trying to save the land but most sure as heck don't want us hunting it.
Not trying to start a big deal just stating as dallan did I really hate to ruin the time I get to enjoy in the now thinking about what may become of it. And from wolves to development and cultural change to name a few the odds are continually falling out of our favor.:cry:http://utahwildlife.net//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
As for " RAC Thoughts" ?

Why in the world is the RAC recommending more LE elk seasons on the Wasatch
and Manti when the DWR and their biologists are NOT???????????

Same thing happened with the Cow control permits on the Wasatch last year.
DWR was recommending these permits only be used on certain areas of the unit,
The Wild life board changed that at the last minute to include the entire unit...WHY?

·
Registered
6,963 Posts
As for " RAC Thoughts" ?

The Wild life board changed that at the last minute to include the entire unit...WHY?
Same reason why they chose Option 2 when the biologists were recommending something different. Same story, different issue Goof. Par for the course.

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
I agree TS....^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Players in positions with personal agendas changing the game for everyone!

Right back yo my first post on this thread, POLITICS........
And again, why I'm no longer involved.

I've decided I no longer have the time or energy to fight the destruction of
the Wasatch elk herd...........I'll just hunt else were....8)

·
Registered
95 Posts
As for " RAC Thoughts" ?

They, being the biologists and regional managers, are onboard, it was their recommendations to the RAC's. As far as why, simply put, less pressure on the Wasatch November hunt. The numbers say its a slaughter of bulls in November, something in the hi 80 percents, its higher than September.

·
Registered
163 Posts
The DWR only chose 5 units for the Oct hunt to try it out on a trial basis to see how it goes. They are not against trying it on other units and feel it would work well on other units including the Wasatch and Manti. At the meeting I went to, one of the rac members asked the DWR rep before they voted if he thought the Wasatch and Manti could use or need this hunt. The answer was yes. One thing to remember is that it's being tried on a trial basis. If it doesn't work out as planned it will be canned like the management elk hunts were. If it's a success then plan on seeing more units added.

I am very pleased to see the DWR finally trying to give us more options when it comes to how, when, and where we chose to use our points. Last year they added more muzzy pronghorn hunts and LE deer hunts(the sky didn't fall because those were added). This year they're recommending to add this LE elk hunt on 5 or 7 units and 6 more LE deer hunts(the sky won't fall this time around either). It's my opinion that this Oct. hunt will be considered a success and is here to stay. I just can't see any real negatives to the Oct hunt, other than a few less rifle tags during the peak of the rut. Is that really a negative?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
They, being the biologists and regional managers, are onboard, it was their recommendations to the RAC's. As far as why, simply put, less pressure on the Wasatch November hunt. The numbers say its a slaughter of bulls in November, something in the hi 80 percents, its higher than September.
I like it, it's gonna pull permits from a 80%+ success season and put them in an 60% or so I bet. Means less Bulls harvested and less pressure overall. If a guy wants to fight the general spike guys then sweet good for him!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 68 Posts