Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering does anyone know what the rule is about buying birds and turning them loose on your own land? I have heard that it is illegal and also that it is legal as long as you have the right paperwork. Any input would be great, I am thinking about buying a few roosters this weekend to turn loose.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I haven't looked at the actual code in a number of years, but when I buy birds for training or release the seller gives me a permit that contains the species and number of birds sold as well as thier license number etc.

·
Registered
234 Posts
If you do it during the season and stay within the limit, no paperwork is required. You can also do it outside of the season under the pretense of "dog training" as long as you have the paperwork showing they're pen-raised and you attach a long streamer (like a 3-foot length of yarn) to a leg to identify them when they fly.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Yes. In fact, I think that is part of the requirement, since you are supposedly training your dog. I don't think you can just release the birds without dogs and shoot them unless you are on property registered as a hunting club.

·
Premium Member
2,110 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts