Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you have any advice on which ram tag to apply for? My main priority is finding one that is a little easier to hunt with decent opportunities. I'm not as concerned about a trophy ram.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
California Rockies are found on Antelope Island, Stansbury, and Newfoundland units. Regular Rockies are on the Nebo, Timp, and Uintah units and Books Cliffs units. Cali's have slightly smaller headgear than regular Rockies.

Desert Bighorns are present elsewhere in central and southern UT.

Without any additional info (i'm assuming you're a non-resident from your screen name), i'd find the unit with the best odds and apply for it. All NR odds are horrible - might as well give yourself the best odds to draw if you really don't care about trophy quality.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Do any of you have any advice on which ram tag to apply for? My main priority is finding one that is a little easier to hunt with decent opportunities. I'm not as concerned about a trophy ram.
Assuming you are a nonresident, odds are terrible no matter how you look at it (and even residents can't really plan on drawing in any reasonable amount of time). That being said, if you want the best odds, I can tell you what to apply for.

Your best odds for a desert sheep will most likely be the San Rafael tag. I've also heard that there is decent ATV access in the North subunit, but honestly I don't know much about it.

Your best odds for Rocky Mtn sheep are probably on the Newfoundland unit (although those are technically California bighorns). Access to the mountain range itself kind of sucks, though. It will require hours of driving through a very remote desert on some iffy roads. If you're not well-prepared, you can certainly get stranded out there.

I don't think we have any bad sheep tags here. All units have pretty high success rates, and if you get a tag, it will be fun.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Oregon
you'd probably get more resonances if you would respond to everyone on your Beaver elk tag from last fall.

·
1,666 Posts
As a NR in the same pool. I would suggest.

You should totally put in for the Newfoundland California Tag and definitely not the Book Cliffs Tag.

You should definitely put in for the Zion Tag for Desert Bighorn and definitely not put in for the San Rafael.

Given that you drew a Beaver Elk Tag, it is probably safe to assume that you will draw a sheep tag ahead of me, thus my recommendations.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys! I'm not as concerned with draw odds as they are all terrible for ram. . . Labs2, I've forgotten to look at my Beaver elk thread but I will post pictures of my bull soon! He scored 348 gross. I just couldn't find anything better on that late hunt. Still happy though.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Kaiparowits Deserts are my favorite..:!:

And the NR tag gets to hunt all 3 units...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts