Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Administrator
21,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The "Return From the Midwest" post reminds me that I need to take a few pheasant pictures. I have no digital pics of them, only a few film photos. Pheasants were common growing up on a farm in Illinois. They were in the yard, all the crops and they would walk within feet of me as I waited for the school bus!

They were kinda pretty, but I just never thought much about taking pictures of them. People from out-of-state would come out and get some and ask my dad to take pics. He would ask "What the hell ya wanna do that for?" Geezus, times have changed; and digital photography has changed the way we (I) fish and hunt.

I never cared much for pheasants to eat, preferred rabbits or quail and would often swap a rooster for other upland game. I got 2 rabbits, 2 squirrels or 3 quail for a pheasant. They were a blast to shoot though.

My uncle raised them by the hundreds, sold chicks for stocking programs and sold dressed mature birds to eat. We just took the birds for granted.

Other beautiful birds like Turkeys, Wood Ducks, Red-headed Woodpeckers, Cardinals and Bluejays were very very common yet I have no pics of them. (Ah...the ex-wife may have a few, but she can just keep 'em). A Snowy Owl spent a month around are place and no pics.

Now I find myself taking lots of photos, all digital. Even shootin pictures of animals before I throw lead or stick at them, kinda dumb really. Screwed up a pretty good bull elk archery hunting that way. When I first moved to the west I bet I took a pic of the first 25 sage-grouse I shot. Never took pics of the Ruffeds; had them at home in the midwest.

I'm rambling, reminiscing. At my age I should take more pictures, especially of birds.

·
Registered
741 Posts
For many years I was a C&R fisherman so I have tons of pictures of my fish since if I didn't take a pic there was no proof. The problem is they're all 35mm and sitting in a box under the bed.

I now take pics of most all of my bids I shoot but I draw the line at missing a shot because I was messing around with the camera!

·
Administrator
21,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I did take pictures they weren't all that good, like this huge 30lb plus raccoon. (1976 Good Grief)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts