Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ran into this guy last night. Not a record breaking monster... but would you shoot it? Consider its 12 yards off the road so recovery is super easy, you could bring it out whole if you wanted.

-DallanC

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Absolutely this is a taker for this part of the world. Unless you are up in Alaska or the northern parts of BC, it is pretty hard to run into a real good bull with this type of palmation. That would be a good bull for the lower 48. With a bow, it would be a no-brainer.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I would pass depending on what I was seeing and how much time I had to hunt. I have see smaller taken a lot of times. It is getting difficult to find a good moose in Ut. anymore.

Here is a picture of mine from last year. Could not have been happier and yes he is bigger than I expected that I would ever take. and I left out where he was taken on purpose. !

Attachments

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
I would pass depending on what I was seeing and how much time I had to hunt. I have see smaller taken a lot of times. It is getting difficult to find a good moose in Ut. anymore.

Here is a picture of mine from last year. Could not have been happier and yes he is bigger than I expected that I would ever take. and I left out where he was taken on purpose. !
Congrats helluva bull. So..why is it you wouldnt say where he was taken? Cache?East Canyon? Wasatch? North Slope? Whats the big secret? Its a once in a lifetime tag.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Congrats helluva bull. So..why is it you wouldnt say where he was taken? Cache?East Canyon? Wasatch? North Slope? Whats the big secret? Its a once in a lifetime tag.
Yes it is a once in a life time tag which makes it even harder to get and I have family still putting in for the tag. No need in making their odds even worse. If you don't respect that then I am sorry.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Oh no I dont care at all. I was just curious why you wouldnt let us know. Seemed odd thats all. When I draw in 40 years with my 10 points currently, ill be hunting the CACHE unit. YES let it be KNOWN!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Oh no I dont care at all. I was just curious why you wouldnt let us know. Seemed odd thats all. When I draw in 40 years with my 10 points currently, ill be hunting the CACHE unit. YES let it be KNOWN!!
I sure did not put the picture of my bull up to start a pi$$ing contest. I edited my post as I should not have taken it that serious.

I hope you draw your moose permit soon and get the bull of a life time as I was lucky enough to do. Good luck

·
1,687 Posts
Ya know,

Idaho has units will 60-80% success with a 25-59% draw odds. It'll be $2,250 for the tag, but you would probably draw it first. There are a few units with 100% draw odds too, if you really have an itch to hunt moose.

You could also probably do a DIY Alaska hunt for $6,000 (Mostly flights).

You probably will be in the bonus point pool faster in Wyoming than Utah for moose.

Montana would be another good bet if you wanted to draw a moose tag in your lifetime.

I think it may be time to look else where for moose.

I think it has been said before, but Moose in Utah Just Survive

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I would likely pass, but as has been said, the pack out would rank it top notch!

Too bad the moose in UT are hurting so bad. I haven't seen one this year in 4 trips out scouting and typically I see multiple moose each time.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.