Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ran into this guy last night. Not a record breaking monster... but would you shoot it? Consider its 12 yards off the road so recovery is super easy, you could bring it out whole if you wanted.

-DallanC

Attachments

·
Registered
262 Posts
Depends on the unit... I ran into one of the tag holders for the Cache unit last week and he was hoping to find one close to the road, cause he wasn't in good enough condition to be going very far back in.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Absolutely this is a taker for this part of the world. Unless you are up in Alaska or the northern parts of BC, it is pretty hard to run into a real good bull with this type of palmation. That would be a good bull for the lower 48. With a bow, it would be a no-brainer.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I would pass depending on what I was seeing and how much time I had to hunt. I have see smaller taken a lot of times. It is getting difficult to find a good moose in Ut. anymore.

Here is a picture of mine from last year. Could not have been happier and yes he is bigger than I expected that I would ever take. and I left out where he was taken on purpose. !

Attachments

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
I would pass depending on what I was seeing and how much time I had to hunt. I have see smaller taken a lot of times. It is getting difficult to find a good moose in Ut. anymore.

Here is a picture of mine from last year. Could not have been happier and yes he is bigger than I expected that I would ever take. and I left out where he was taken on purpose. !
Congrats helluva bull. So..why is it you wouldnt say where he was taken? Cache?East Canyon? Wasatch? North Slope? Whats the big secret? Its a once in a lifetime tag.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Congrats helluva bull. So..why is it you wouldnt say where he was taken? Cache?East Canyon? Wasatch? North Slope? Whats the big secret? Its a once in a lifetime tag.
Yes it is a once in a life time tag which makes it even harder to get and I have family still putting in for the tag. No need in making their odds even worse. If you don't respect that then I am sorry.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Oh no I dont care at all. I was just curious why you wouldnt let us know. Seemed odd thats all. When I draw in 40 years with my 10 points currently, ill be hunting the CACHE unit. YES let it be KNOWN!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Oh no I dont care at all. I was just curious why you wouldnt let us know. Seemed odd thats all. When I draw in 40 years with my 10 points currently, ill be hunting the CACHE unit. YES let it be KNOWN!!
I sure did not put the picture of my bull up to start a pi$$ing contest. I edited my post as I should not have taken it that serious.

I hope you draw your moose permit soon and get the bull of a life time as I was lucky enough to do. Good luck

·
1,666 Posts
Ya know,

Idaho has units will 60-80% success with a 25-59% draw odds. It'll be $2,250 for the tag, but you would probably draw it first. There are a few units with 100% draw odds too, if you really have an itch to hunt moose.

You could also probably do a DIY Alaska hunt for $6,000 (Mostly flights).

You probably will be in the bonus point pool faster in Wyoming than Utah for moose.

Montana would be another good bet if you wanted to draw a moose tag in your lifetime.

I think it may be time to look else where for moose.

I think it has been said before, but Moose in Utah Just Survive

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
I would likely pass, but as has been said, the pack out would rank it top notch!

Too bad the moose in UT are hurting so bad. I haven't seen one this year in 4 trips out scouting and typically I see multiple moose each time.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
It depends on which unit. I have been putting in for Cache as well and I know there is much better out there. So I would pass.

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think i have 20 points going into this years draw, had I had tag in pocket I would have shot that sucker in nothing flat with the old smokepole.

-DallanC

1 - 20 of 27 Posts