Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother-in-law and made out for out last goose trip of the year. Lot of geese around but we just weren't in the field they wanted to be in. We had a few flocks give a single pass but we couldn't get any to commit. We ended up the day with 3 honkers on the day along with 3 greenies and the one my bro-in-law knocked down had two bands. One was the standard band and the other was a solid red band. Don't know to much about it so I was hoping someone could could help us out. I took a pic with my phone and I'll try to post it.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Aren't the reward bands usually some color? Also, weren't the geese here locally banded with a colored band if it was their second time being caught locally or something?

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
The red band on that goose was a locale adult goose that was banded on one of the golf coures. If you get a green band that 100 band.The geese we banded last year and the year befor. The adults got a red band pluse the silver one and then the juvys got a yellow one with the silver band.Congrats on the band.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So when he calls the number in, will they send him info on the red band as well? There are no markings on the red one.

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
They will just send him the info on the silver band.But it will tell him what golf coures it was banded on. all th red band is for it to say to say it a city goose and it adult bird.let us know what golf cours it was from.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The red band is to identify with binos if it was a juvy or and adult, the information comes from the silver band. The red and yellow bands are for visual nothing else, it just helps to see where the birds are and where they are going locally. The federal band is the one that you want. :mrgreen: Nice job on the band, I am still waiting for my info to come back on my last one I shot on new years eve :roll: Send some of those geese down south there is nothing left down my way any more.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all your input. I'll tell him to post the info when he gets his info back. We shot this bird down south, so they are still around. Actually if we had one more day of hunting we would have got our limits for sure. We set up Sunday morning just to watch them land in a different field all day. I finally left my bro-in-law with our spread and drove over to the field, which we had permission to be in as well, and watched them for a bit. If we had one more day, it would have been like shooting fish in a barrel.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts