Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm headed back up to scofield on Thursday (pending snow) to redeem myself, getting beat up like last week makes for a long week waiting to go back and make things happen. I am hearing the slush is freezing up and the fishing is hit and miss. Any good reports would be welcome, otherwise I am hitting the ice at first light and I am not leaving untill I redeem myself and catch a few fish (hopefully a nice tiger). Would you take your wheeler up yet. I am going alone and a wheeler would help me pull the stuff around easier. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
952 Posts
Good luck VINTAGE. Hope you get into the fish! The slush was no problem when we were there Sat. From what I hear you might be going in a storm!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I visted the DWR fishing discussion board daily until they discountinued their forum. I didn't ever post a message on the online discussion board but benefited greatly from information others posted. I decided today would be a great day to post my first disscusion board message.
Vintage, I feel your hurt! I went Scofield two weeks ago and got skunked for my first time ever ice fishing. I ate an extra large slice of humble pie. My wife could not stop laughing at me, which only caused insult to injury. I went up again on Monday to Schofield to redeem myself with my wife who has always been a great good luck charm and has caught her fair share of fish and got skunked again. She was dissapointed and I was once again in despair. I have always caught inbetween 15-40 fish a trip. I fished the east side, the Island and by the dam. I only saw four fish on my fish finder the six hours we were there. The water level is lower then I can remember. I don't know if that has any relationship to my last two unproductive trips. I look forward to Otter Creek and Piute reservoir frezzing over and getting into a bunch of two and three pound rainbows like last year. Strawberry sounds awfully good right now as well. Anything but Schofield sounds good for atleast a couple of weeks!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Vinatage: please let us know how you did on Thursday...the suspense is killing me!!!

I'm heading to Scofield tomorrow (Sat) and hoping to get into em'. Any tips on what to use is appreciated.

·
Registered
952 Posts
sliverflick said:
Vinatage: please let us know how you did on Thursday...the suspense is killing me!!!

I'm heading to Scofield tomorrow (Sat) and hoping to get into em'. Any tips on what to use is appreciated.
Hey flick just to help you out a bit, anything orange seemed to work good for us last week. I would also try other bright colors like pink, green, etc. Nightcrawlers were my bait of choice also.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay, I feel much better about myself after a great day on the ice, changed locations on the lake this time and I killed them, I iced 16 fish in 1 1/2hrs. Finally landed a nice tiger about 2 lbs, I fished in 8-10 feet of water and the camera was full of fish, Pink was the ticket, largest fish was 3 1/2 lb rainbow. No slush this time but it was COLD. I didn't take my tent and froze my buns off. After an hour and a half I couldn't take much more. headed back up tommorow with tent and heater, Hopefully I can last longer on the lake. Feels good to get the confidence back

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I fished just out from the state park by the ****, I decided to fish in 8 feet of water, about 20 feet off the bank, the fish were in there hot and heavy, the fish on the camera were consistantly coming through, probably 10-15 fish every 10 minutes, they were really crusing through. Its really interesting to watch the fish on the camera, you rarely feel it when they suck in the bait. I caught serveral fish by site, not by feel. What a diffence location makes.
I will be back up there on Wednesday after christmas. see you all there, I'll be in the same spot taking my 8 year old son up for his first trip. Can't wait.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts