Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got this bird the other day and my first thought was gadwall. After thinking about it more and more I thought that it could be a redhead. However I have never shot a redhead (unless this duck is one) so what do you think? What is it? I'm usually pretty good with ducks and I wish I had taken a picture of the wings so I could figure it out myself but this picture is all I have to go off of now.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
Looking at photos of redheads it looks like they have a lighter colored beak. I'm saying gadwall.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright. Cool cool! Thanks guys. I was right the first time! :) just for fun... Here is the only other duck I got that day.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Gadwall drakes are beautiful birds, too bad they taste nasty.-O,-
Yep, really sad they're so bad. I'd target then if they didn't suck. I only shoot them by mistake or if I'm desperate.

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
Gadwall drakes are beautiful birds, too bad they taste nasty.-O,-
We eat them all the time, I don't find they taste nasty and I'm very particular. I normally brine mine for about 3 days before cooking them though.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
That's funny, I've never noticed gaddies tasting different than any other duck. Not as good as a big drake mallard, but I don't think I could tell the difference between a gadwall, wigeon, or pintail on the plate.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Gaddies have given me the trots on more than one occasion. As much as I'd like to ingest them out of the pan, I'm afraid they'll always be a jerky duck for me. Unless I run out of Metamucil...then I may reconsider.

Either way, glad to see someone shootin' em up!

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
That's funny, I've never noticed gaddies tasting different than any other duck. Not as good as a big drake mallard, but I don't think I could tell the difference between a gadwall, wigeon, or pintail on the plate.
This will sound crazy, but I can taste the difference on a plate or jerkey. I would even say the texture is different, kind of mushy like spam.-O,- I would rather eat a merganser.

·
Administrator
21,440 Posts
I eat a lot of Gaddies. They're OK by me. Kinda taste like a winter Wigeon.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
We eat them all the time, I don't find they taste nasty and I'm very particular. I normally brine mine for about 3 days before cooking them though.
They're jerky ducks. Soak them in your teriyaki for 24 hours, and the bad taste is gone.
I have a hard time choking them down. Too bad, but I've tried to eat them several times without success. I kill plenty of geese to use for jerky. I'll just stich to shooting what tastes good. I've had mallard the last four nights, pan seared breast either skin on or skin off. Almost as good as pintail, but I haven't done a blind test yet.

A friend of mine shot a couple of fat canvasbacks drakes a few days ago that he's just going to give to me. I'll use Hank Shaw's recipe for roasted Canvasback and hominy tonight. He says in his book that in the heyday of market hunting the menu for the Waldorf Hotel in NYC listed that dish for $4.50, which translates to $104 today.

·
Administrator
21,440 Posts
uh...wigeons over here in Hooterville tend to hang with the goldeneyes. Wigeons follow the goldeneyes around eating snails and other "junk" that those divers stir up off the bottom of the river.

Reactions: utahgolf

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
mmmmm hominy! Had a meal the other night, can of hominy and a can of black beans, mixed together with a ton of butter. Love the stuff.

Reactions: wyogoob

·
Administrator
21,440 Posts
Call me crazy, but I have a dozen Gadwall dekes I use from time to to time.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Those probably taste better than the real ones.:)
Totally agree!! I had some gadwall dekes, nice G&H ones, before I learned better. Sold them but shipping was expensive.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts