Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been unable to find much info on this topic. I'm trying to work up some loads for a 3" .357 mag, but all the data is for 6 and 7" barrels. I'd like a nice potent round with 180 grain hard-cast bullets to pack while bowhunting. Most of the data I have says H-110 is the best powder, but I'm wondering if it's too slow-burning for such a short barrel. Has anyone chrono'ed some loads out of a 3" gun? I'm thinking something like HS-6, HS-7 or 2400 may be a better choice.

·
Premium Member
4,049 Posts
The only drawback to using H110 would be an increased muzzle flash. If that is a concern, I would use a factory load that has the additives in the powder that limit muzzle flash. I don't think that such powders are available in the canister grades.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
If it just for carrying while your hunting I would just buy a box of factory ammo like loke said. I know those of us who do reload like to do all that we can ourselves but, for this purpose it I think it would be better to buy a factory load. There are others on here that may have a better answers and can help you work up a good load on your own though.

·
Registered
212 Posts
factory ammo is probably your best bet-
but, hi-skor 700X. It's a fast burning shotgun powder, but I like it for revolvers. The barrel length isn't really the issue- it's the cylinder gap. The pressure curve needs to build quickly and uniformly to get that projectile moving before it hits the forcing cone. The trouble is; heavy bullets like slow burning rates which means that a good portion of that powder is not going to be burned before it exits the barrel, regardless of load.
Try a cast 148 grain wadcutter (wheelweights seem to make an excellent alloy for this velocity range) seated backward with a stiff dose of 700X. Massive expansion and weight retention (not to mention frontal area) for breaking bones and stuff. Which leads me to one question, though-
Why on earth are you carrying a handgun bowhunting?

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice. I think Corbon makes a 200 gr hard cast load that may be a good one for my purposes. I do have a chrono though so I may just do a little testing this summer to see which powder gives me the best performance.

I may have to try 700x, I haven't used any of that since I first started reloading shotshells.

Why on earth are you carrying a handgun bowhunting?
For protection against kitties and/or bruins :shock: Not that I'm really that worried, but this past season I did see a set of fresh cat tracks within 400 yds of camp and several sets of bear tracks in my hunting area. Oh, and one very large black bear 100 yds from my tent. Normally I'd carry my .44 but this spot is quite the hike and I'd like to keep weight down. Hence the purchase of a new 3" model 60 :mrgreen:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Seems like a pretty logical reason. When I draw out for moose, I'll be carrying a bow or single shot .30-30. :shock:
Can I borrow your .44? :mrgreen:

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well that depends. If you draw out for moose around the same time I do, my .44 might be considered an antique and firing it may decrease it's value. And if it's before then, I may just decide to adhere to my father's advice: "Never lend out your guns or your wife, in that order."

If you really want to hunt moose with your bow I think you should watch this first:

·
Registered
212 Posts
When I wrote that last post I was just funnin' ya',
but after seeing that I might not be! :shock:
I think having a .44 or .45 LC on my hip would have been irrelevant. I'm not a fast draw artist. In fact, I doubt I'd have even cleared leather before getting intimately acquainted with that bull's rack.
Holy sh*t!

·
Registered
210 Posts
I reloaded some 180 grain Nosler Partitions for my 3" Taurus using both H110 and HS6.

When I took them to the range, the difference was amazing. As I shot the rounds loaded with H110, the old codger sitting 2 lanes over got a lot of burnt powder spit at him. So much so that he stopped shooting altogether until I was done.

The HS6/HS7 would be a better bet if you're looking for less muzzle flash and noise.

Don't get me wrong, I use H110 90% of the time for my Magnums (.44/.357), but if it's range ammo, I'll opt for HS6.

As for speed, I've never cronographed those loads, so sorry.

·
Registered
494 Posts
El Matador said:
"Never lend out your guns or your wife, in that order."
That ain't the way I heard it. It went something like this : Never loan your guns nor chainsaw.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts