Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am so sorry, but I told the guys that I wouldn't disclose to any more people the location of this small reservoir (NO, it is not Birch Creek), and I need to stick to my word. Some of you might guess. It is out of the way (2 hour drive for me) and when most people think ice fishing they go to Scofield or Huntington or Strawberry and pass up these types of places. It has mostly rainbows and good sized Cutts, but also a few BIG tigers. This year is my first year fishing it after I was lucky enough to have a couple guys tell me where it was, what they were using, and at what depth the fish come through at, I had good success. I've been twice. First time I was the only one on the entire reservoir and the fishing was super fast. I ended up landing 10 fish. Twice I caught two fish at a time, releasing most of them. I also hooked up with a giant Tiger but was not able to land him, but saw it at the hole a couple times and I am sure it would've been several pounds. Word is that state record Tiger trout lurk here. Second time it was very slow but landed my biggest Tiger yet, didn't measure and just got a picture to release it quickly. It was substantially larger than my 17 incher I caught on the first trip, so my guess is around 20 inches. Its a small reservoir to hold so many big fish, but it gets alot of run-off and plenty of forage. The best lure is not a tiny ice fly here, I use a large glow in the dark tube jig tipped with a hole chub minnow. After lots of missed strikes and stolen minnows I decided to also place a small treble stinger hook on the jig as well. A similar rig up is also the ticket at Huntington for Tiger Trout. Those guys are fish eaters.

·
Registered
309 Posts
turkeyfish said:
RyanCreek, Great fishing! Tiger trout are beautiful fish. I was 99.9% sure I knew which lake you were talking about before I saw the picture of the nice tiger trout you were holding . The background behind you verified my premenition. Not only do state record tiger trout swim in Palisade reservior the state record tiger trout was caught out of there last year, which was around nine pounds. I went ice fishing there last year as well as this year and caught a bunch of samll rainbow, cutthroat, tigers, and one nice tiger (21 inches). I didn't catch a fish that was meduim in size like the ones in your picture they were either big or small. Great pictures!
o-||

·
Premium Member
8,234 Posts
turkeryfish...I sent you a pm....

southernman....I'd like to send you something else...can I have your address please?

·
Premium Member
8,234 Posts
You know southernman....I used to think you were just bored....now I know you're just an idiot.

Sorry Pete...I didn't know you were going to do what you did....I've edited my language...

·
Registered
476 Posts
Outing the kids secret spot einstein! He doesn't understand why you pull a jackass move like that. Neither do I. I knew where it was but I'm not a jerk.

·
Premium Member
8,234 Posts
turkeyfish said:
Fixed blade what are you talking about?
Read the first two line's of the original post.....He kinda say's he doesn't want to tell where it is....Ya gotta read every word in some post......He didn't post it as 'Where is this?'

·
Registered
43 Posts
Rapala hunter, thanks for calling me a jackass, stupid,and a jerk. Do we have to resort to name calling. I didn't have a I have only been a part of this forum for a short period of time. I didn't know there were unwritten rules that applied to this discussion board. If the man was trying to keep a secret why in the world was he posting pictures and telling everything about the lake but it's name? My last report was about my ice fishing experince last week at palisade. I didn't think it was a big secret. Could it be your mad because you don't want other people knowing about a fishing hole? I'm sorry to anyone that I offended including you Rapala hunter. I will use more discreation in the future.

·
Premium Member
8,234 Posts
Calm down turkeyfish, I really don't believe any of us think you did that on purpose...we get a little protective around here and try to honor somebody's request to keep an area quiet...A lot of member's recognize some area's, such as you did..but it just seems respectful 'not' to say much...It's a membership thing.... 8)
Stick with us here....you seem like a good person, I enjoyed your report from 'down there'.. :)

·
Registered
476 Posts
I don't care about the fishing hole. There's plenty of places to fish.

If you read his post he indicated that he wasn't wanting the word to spread about where it is. It seemed as though you just didn't care and outed it anyway. I don't know if it's an unwritten rule, but honoring his request just seems like the right thing to do revealing pictures or not.

Sorry for the name calling. I may have been a little worked up from reading southernman's posts.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Hmmm... this whole report seems vaguely familiar. LOL wierd I must be having deja vu! O wait I remember now, orvis1' report! It just seems that certain people cannot keep a secret even if kindly asked not to. I for one didnt know it was that place just by looking at it. I guess a lesson to be learned that keeps popping up from these types of reports is that if you post a report about a "secret" place and accompany it with pictures, inevitably someone is going to blurt it out. I guess if you really want to keep it a "secret" dont post pics or dont post it at all. Dont get me wrong, I have no problem with people posting secret spots and I wont blurt out a location if I know where it is. Some people do have a prob and will spill the beans. I enjoy reading all reports even if I dont know where it is. Just my two cents, if anybody cares 8)

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'd have to agree with Greenguy...If you have a spot you don't want people outing, take your pictures without anything in the background that can give it away (like on the ice). Even if it doesn't seem like the background will give it away, I guarantee there are people who have fished your "secret lake" for 20+ years and know the location of every tree and rock around the shore. If you don't want the beans spilled, then don't post pictures with the surroundings visible, because someone always tells, and then uses the excuse "I didn't know I wasn't supposed to tell". If it's truly a secret you dont want outed, then protect it and don't complain when you post pictures that give your "secret" away. Just my two cents as well...

1 - 20 of 47 Posts