Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question about how tags are given out. Lets say, for example, there are 100 tags for a unit; 90 tags for residents and 10 for non-residents. If 95 residents apply for tags and only 3 non-residents apply what happens to the leftover non-resident tags? Do they go to the 5 resident applicants that applied in excess to the original resident quota? Also, when the remaining tags go on sale OTC, are the tags open to anyone or just non-residents?

The reason I ask is that I'm a non-resident with 3 points for antlerless elk and will certainly draw a tag for the unit I want to hunt. My brother is a resident with 0 points and has less than a 20% chance to draw the tag. We definitely want one tag but not necessarily 2 tags, especially since mine will be kind of pricey. I need to know how to apply when the antlerless application period comes up. If non-resident tags that are under-subscribed convert to resident tags I'll apply and have my brother apply for a point only this year so he has better odds to draw next year. If non-resident tags stay non-resident tags, I'll wait and see if my brother draws and if he's unsuccessful I'll buy mine OTC.

·
1,666 Posts
All leftover tags are sold as at a first come first served basis.

It doesn't matter what they were in the draw.

NR will pay the NR fee for leftovers.

R will pay the R fee for leftovers.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. That's what I figured since I don't recall ever seeing specific non-resident tags on sale OTC. Edit: But I've never specifically looked so I wasn't sure.

What about if non-res tags are under-subscribed AND resident tags are over-subscribed during the draw? Do the excess non-res tags go to the resident applicants in the draw or do they go to leftovers OTC?

thanks.

·
1,666 Posts
Thanks. That's what I figured since I don't recall ever seeing specific non-resident tags on sale OTC. Edit: But I've never specifically looked so I wasn't sure.

What about if non-res tags are under-subscribed AND resident tags are over-subscribed during the draw? Do the excess non-res tags go to the resident applicants in the draw or do they go to leftovers OTC?

thanks.
I'm not sure if that happens, but I imagine they will give them to the residents. Not 100%

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
I thought you were only allowed to buy a leftover tag with how you fit the bill - a NR would only have NR leftovers available for them to purchase?

·
Registered
401 Posts
I would go in as a party. If one draws you both draw. It will be very hard to connect just on the resident tag since he has no points.Good Luck.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I thought you were only allowed to buy a leftover tag with how you fit the bill - a NR would only have NR leftovers available for them to purchase?
All leftover tags are sold on a first come-first served basis regardless of residency.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts