Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So somehow many years ago I took a bamboo fly rod out of my uncle's garage. This was probably a fairly expensive item at one time, but I was maybe 10 and didn't understand what I had. Thus, my first fly-rod may have been my best. The uncle wasn't much of a fisherman and never asked for it back. I did not treat that rod "nicely", but I did catch fish and it isn't destroyed. Though it's fairly battered. After about 10 years I realized that I maybe had an antique with some value and so I put it in my parents basement and bought a POS rod, and over time other rods. More then 20 years passed and over Christmas the old man was forcing me to either reclaim my possessions from his basement or throw them out. During this I re-discovered that rod. It's still OK but needs the guides to be re-wrapped and maybe some varnish or something? Ok long set up, but here's my question: Anybody know how to restore an old bamboo rod? I'd love to get it operational again, though I'll be more careful with it this time.

·
Administrator
21,406 Posts
Trooper said:
So somehow many years ago I took a bamboo fly rod out of my uncle's garage. This was probably a fairly expensive item at one time, but I was maybe 10 and didn't understand what I had. Thus, my first fly-rod may have been my best. The uncle wasn't much of a fisherman and never asked for it back. I did not treat that rod "nicely", but I did catch fish and it isn't destroyed. Though it's fairly battered. After about 10 years I realized that I maybe had an antique with some value and so I put it in my parents basement and bought a POS rod, and over time other rods. More then 20 years passed and over Christmas the old man was forcing me to either reclaim my possessions from his basement or throw them out. During this I re-discovered that rod. It's still OK but needs the guides to be re-wrapped and maybe some varnish or something? Ok long set up, but here's my question: Anybody know how to restore an old bamboo rod? I'd love to get it operational again, though I'll be more careful with it this time.
I have some old bamboo rods, some original and some I have restored to "as new". They remind me of my restored 1965 Chevy Impala; a great piece of nostalgia and nice to look at, but just doesn't handle all that good.

What is rod brand and model?

Do you have rod wrapping experience?

I use to build and/or refinish cane rods and still have all the equipment including a heated varnish dip tank. I quit doing it, ties up too much time.

PM me for specifics, tips, books, etc.

Tim Gorman
TEE-PEE POLES

1 - 2 of 2 Posts