Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 6 year old Chocolate Lab who hunts with us and is an absolute part of our family. With all the shooting in the boat yesterday, I couldn't help but wonder how her hearing is doing as she has been in the marsh with us from the beginning. I see a product called Mutt Muffs. Has anyone used them? Any feedback would be helpful.

Thanks Jeff

·
Registered
6,307 Posts
My Yellow Labrador is 7 years old and he isn't deaf yet, I can't say the same unfortunately. My dog usually hears and sees the ducks before I do. I know airboat guys that use hearing protection for their dogs when they are running their boats. They take the muffs off when the hunt starts though.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Like Fowl mentioned I run Mutt Muffs on my dog when I'm running my airboat but take them off when we're hunting. As for protecting her hearing when hunting I always run/place her on my back right shoulder (right handed shooter). Jeff ya might want to get your dog out of the boat and placed on a platform to the side of the boat.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply Josh. I'll be sure to take my table with me and try that. I have had her sitting on one of the pods for the last couple years, which works great. I didn't have the concern until Saturday night after having the three guns a blaring. She just hasn't been the same since. I'm sure she has the withdrawals like me but there is something more. In case anyone else is thinking of getting a pair, I contacted the manufacturer to see just how waterproof they are in case she makes retrieves with them. They suggest removing them before sending the dog. This makes it a bit of a pain should I decide to do it. I plan to try Josh's suggestion before investing in a pair.

·
Registered
92 Posts
That is a **** FINE looking black lab right there! (Only color of lab worth having)
That being said-
I'm not a rocket scientist but I'm betting that's why God put those flaps over there ears!;-)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts