Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just returned home from my last trip of the year. I can't believe I got away with one so close to Christmas, but when I got home all my belongings were not in the garage so I thought that was a good sign. We left on Friday morning and after spending the night in a hotel that night we were at our hunting destination ready to go by 10 am. Our first push produced something I have never seen before. We were about 200 yards in when a small group got up in front of us a little out of gun range following that, and I'm not joking, about 400 to 500 all got up within 15 seconds of each other. My cousin and I sat in amazement watching this spectacle. I didn't have my video nor digital camera handy, but in the moment I wasn't even thinking about it. I have never seen anything like it. The sky was literally black with pheasants.
We stayed through monday morning, each day producing a limit of birds most days still done by noon of 1 o'clock. The birds were real flighty. Just shutting the truck door was enough to get them to start flushing out in the fields. Keeping the dogs close and our voices down was key, but even with a lot of birds flushing way ahead of us, we still picked up a lot holding. We saw good hen numbers too, but there were still a lot of roosters that needed to be thinned out. This was a banner year in the midwest. Lets hope they have a mild winter and no ice storms this year.
Hopefully I can post my pic's.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Congratulations!! It looks like you had an enjoyable time. By the looks of the dogs on the couch picture, they must have had a real fun time as well. What a fun and memorable experience to have and share. It's all about building memories. I would love to make it out there some day. I just haven't put it into works yet. Again, congrats!

Erik

·
Registered
648 Posts
Nice pics...nice story. And, because I was fortunate enough to get up to ND twice this season, I've seen it so I believe. Before going, I'd never seen anything like it.

I can't wait til next year.

All the best,

Rob

·
Administrator
21,434 Posts
Nice post.

You and Zim are breaking my heart. I was supposed to go up there and work (night shift) in November/December but the project I was on ran over. Next year.......

It's good, better than western Illinois, eastern Iowa, where I am from.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts