Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm putting together my draw sequence for next year, and have found a bit of a conundrum.

Next year, I plan on purchasing a Cache archery elk tag, and have been drawing for both Buck and Doe pronghorn for the same unit for three years now. I've got a feeling 2008 will be the year!

Anyway, Archery elk is tentatively 8/23-9/14
Archery Pronghorn is 8/18-9/14
Rifle pronghorn is 9/15-9/21? (give or take a day)
doe proghorn is the same as rifle buck.
What I'd like to do is this...
Spend archery bull hunting/scouting for my cow elk season which takes place during rifle deer- get a feel for herd locations and movements. I'll hunt Elk morning/early afternoon, then pronghorn (archery) evenings- if i draw that tag. OR
Hunt Elk all day, final weekend, then move camp out to the flats and hunt rifle pronghorn for a few days.

My question is this-
The proclamation says ' one may not possess a firearm on his person, vehicle, or camp while archery hunting'. So, can I keep my rifle locked away, with no intention of using it, until Rifle pronghorn starts? What if I stay camped on the flats and commute to the high country for the archery elk? Is this still construed as evidence that I intend to poach an elk out of its requisite season? How would I go about accommodating this situation?
Any ideas would be helpful- Keep in mind, if it ain't ethical, I won't touch it with a ten foot pole.

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
I think you would be ok. aslomng as you got a tag for the antelope. but I could be wrong. call the dwr and asked them.You will get what you are looking for faster.good luck on the draws.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Do you want me to tell you what I would do and not worry about it or what I should be telling you to do?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's rhetorical, so i'm seeking "hypothetical" opinions. What's said in the forum stays in the forum.

·
Premium Member
3,982 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong y'all, but don't the proclamations state that the only way you may legally possess a firearm during archery seasons is if you are a Concealed Firearm Permit holder. Take the class and get your permit, presto, you're legal to have a gun.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"as long as it is not carried with the intent to hunt big game.
or
Ranchers protecting livestock
upland game hunters in pursuit of small game
officers in pursuit of the duties of law enforcement."

Otherwise, that would be a nice loophole. Good lookin' out, though.

·
Premium Member
11,688 Posts
(4)(a) A person who has obtained an archery permit may not possess or be in control of a firearm or have a firearm in his camp or motor vehicle during an archery hunt.
(b) The provisions of Subsection (a) do not apply to:
(i) a person licensed to hunt upland game or waterfowl provided the person complies with the rules and regulations specified in the Upland Game or Waterfowl Proclamation, respectively, and possessing only legal weapons to take upland game or waterfowl;
(ii) a person licensed to hunt big game species during hunts that coincide with the archery hunt;
(iii) livestock owners protecting their livestock; or
(iv) a person licensed to carry a concealed weapon in accordance with Title 53, Chapter 5, Part 7 of the Utah Code, provided the person is not utilizing the concealed firearm to hunt or take protected wildlife.
Wouldn't you be okay under section bii?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
missed that one. When did that happen?- I sleep with my proclamations. Literally.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts