Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Went up on the rifle opener to help a youth hunter fill her general season deer tag and her first muley period. We glassed from sun up until about 10:00. We saw one 2x2 at about 437 yards. It was a touch too far and she tried to move in closer but was busted and the buck took off. We started focusing on a different hill side and saw a lot of different hunters. And we were glassing the hill, a group of about 6-7 road hunters drove up the road below us. About a minute after they pass we hear shots, we looked in the direction of the shots and the road hunters are shooting like its a competition to see who can unload their gun first. We look in the direction they are shooting and see dust flying up all around a deer that is running as if his tail was on fire 150 yards away from us. After the smoke clears and the dust settles we walk over to the deer and see one large hole in the deer's back, In between the back quarters, and another in the guts. When we walk up to the deer there are two 15 year old boys holding rifles and looking very stone faced/surprised/scared. The deer is still alive and the dad runs over and slits the deer's throat and waits for it to die. We took pics and talked to the boys and dad. Nobody really knew who killed it or who even shot it...it was a maylee of gun fire. 20 yards and the buck would have been in our laps. Oh well....chalk one up for the road hunter I guess

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
Thats better than where me and my boy were at. People everywhere, as few of shots as I think I've ever heard. Saw 1 dead deer (spike).

-DallanC

·
Registered
800 Posts
Yikes!

Another reason I muzzleload. You get the road hunters no matter the hunt, but range and number of shots come into play!

Good luck helping out the youth hunter. That would of been a dandy first buck for any hunter.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Same story here. Very few shots, and many hunters in every canyon. All on foot though. Everyone walked away empty handed. - About a dozen or more campers, trucks, horses and an army of people. But.....no deer.

Well I shouldn't say that. I saw 4 bucks but they were all in a CWMU 500 yards away. 3 (2) points and a 2x3. Heard about 4 shots in 4 hours but they were REALLY far away.

Thats it. And I put in a lot of miles on foot today.
I'm tired.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I had the opposite happen. We did see lots of hunters, but saw at least 25 bucks between sunup and 11:00. My son got his first! I am very happy for him! His was a running 200 yard shot with four bucks in the group. His was the biggest. Had a great morning! On our way down the hill, we jumped a coyote! He immediately ran, of course. I hit him at 215 yards with my Marlin 30-30, open sites, running! I was more shocked I think than my boy and my buddy were. I tried to upload pics but they wouldn't resize and were too big.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
that has to be high up the list of best road shot bucks. at least they finished the job. went up with my brother to help him fill his tag. saw some elk , a couple bull moose. surprisingly few hunters. a couple dozen but none more than a few hundred yards from the road or up very high.

·
Premium Member
11,688 Posts
Same deal here, most shots were from the road. That is one of the nicer roadies I have ever seen.

Reactions: Bowdacious

·
Senior Goof
3,605 Posts
I don't mess with the rifle, but I did see a nice buck in a driveway when I hit the store at 10. We are at least an hour from hunting, so he must have been one of those road hunters to be back to town by 10.

·
Super Moderator
9,666 Posts
I have often wondered just how many nice bucks get shot during the spike elk hunt and hung up in the trees to be retrieved on the opening morning of the deer hunt?

I have seen a couple of instances where this was quite possible, but I didn't have any real proof other than to say that I saw the truck a hour before with no animal and then it had one in it.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Whats the deal with all the crowds? I thought option 2 was supposed to spread us all out! Anyway. I saw a small 4 point in the back of a ranger at the chevron station in scipio then another small 4 point on a guys 4 wheeler trailer just north of scipio on I-15.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Good lookin buck..:cool:..

Reactions: Bowdacious

·
Registered
402 Posts
Critter I believe its possible. Just teach school and kids tell you all sorts of stuff about their family hunting that is shady.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Saw nobody the first hour of light. And saw not one deer. Moved to higher ground and was camp after camp and traffic. So many people couldn't find a place to pull off. Did finally see a doe and fawn in somebody's camp. First shot I heard was 10:20. After that I was looking for a place to fish.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Just hunt in the fog. My son and I didn't see anyone till they were within 25 yards. Not the best killing condition though

·
Registered
32 Posts
We saw two really nice 4 points standing on the side of the road after we had shot our deer. It was a road hunters dream. We actually had just passed a truck, I flipped around to tell them that we had just saw two nice bucks and get out to go after them. They got out and both walked in the same direction. The bucks came running back out right where they were standing before and those guys were in the trees. We told one of them to go stand on the road where we had seen them, but they didn't listen. They would have got a 25 inch 4 point right on the road if they would have went about it how we told them.

·
Super Moderator
9,666 Posts
We saw two really nice 4 points standing on the side of the road after we had shot our deer. It was a road hunters dream. We actually had just passed a truck, I flipped around to tell them that we had just saw two nice bucks and get out to go after them. They got out and both walked in the same direction. The bucks came running back out right where they were standing before and those guys were in the trees. We told one of them to go stand on the road where we had seen them, but they didn't listen. They would have got a 25 inch 4 point right on the road if they would have went about it how we told them.
I usually throw rocks at them until they get the clue that it is hunting season. (at the deer not the other hunters)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts