Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting the wife a new rifle and was wondering if you guys could make some recommendations?

I was looking at the Weatherby Camilla Wilderness and the Savage Lady Hunter but started wondering if if it’s even necessary to get a woman specific rifle?

·
Super Moderator
10,286 Posts
There is no reason to get her a gender specific rifle as long as the rifle that you get for her fits.

I think that the ones from the manufactures that point towards our lady friends have a shorter length of pull on the stock and a few other things.

I'd take her to a store that has a selection and have her try on a few to see what she likes and what feel comfortable to her.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I picked up the Camilla and haven’t looked back, it changed hunting for me. I’m on the smaller side (hands, height, etc.) and never felt comfortable with any other rifle. Besides a smaller hand and pull, it’s fitted for a longer neck that women (generally) have and different shoulder angle. I have the Mark V, but any Camilla stock should be the same. Send me any questions, I love it.

When I was looking a couple years ago, the Savage was just a kids gun. Fit me about as well as 12-year-old boy clothes (not a bit).

Getting the wife a new rifle and was wondering if you guys could make some recommendations?

I was looking at the Weatherby Camilla Wilderness and the Savage Lady Hunter but started wondering if if it’s even necessary to get a woman specific rifle?

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
My two daughters are small frame young women and shoot normal full size rifles just fine as far as length of pull goes. I would throw in something important is the size of her grip. If she has smaller, more petite hands, then a rifle with a smaller handgrip portion on the stock is what you should look at.

·
Premium Member
3,903 Posts
My oldest daughter shoots a Winchester Model 70 .30-06, my younger daughter shoots the same gun in .270. My youngest daughter took her last buck with my 300 wsm.

Reactions: wyogoob

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll echo critters remark. I will add this though....Have her put a heavy coat on to try the rifle fit. You might have to adjust the scope for her to get a full field of view with heavier cloths on.
This was the issue with my rifle, she couldn’t see through the scope at all with her coat on, once the sun came out and she took it off, she still had to find the scope but was able to see through the dang thing

·
Registered
30 Posts
I got my wife the Weatherby Camilla in 7mm-08 and she loves it. It has three things better suited to ladies. The butt stock is cut at a negative angle, because ladies typically have differently-shaped shoulder/collarbone pockets. It has a raised comb built into the stock (longer necks). And a shorter length of pull. It's actually 1/4lb heavier than my rifle because it has a heavier stock (she opted for walnut). It's a great gun and fits her perfectly. The only thing I don't personally love is it doesn't have a removable magazine. I know they have their advantages but as a personal preference I'm not a huge fan of top-loaders. YMMV.

Before the pandemic, the guy at the counter was telling us Weatherby was also planning on introducing a matching shotgun. Apparently that never happened. It's a shame, because that would have been an amazing set. As it is, it's still a great gun and my wife loves shooting it. So consider that one vote on that side?

·
Administrator
21,619 Posts
Mrs Goob shot the same rifles as the kids and I. She did have a Rem 700 in 30-06 with a muzzle break that was hers but preferred our 25-06s, particularly a rare Smith n Wesson Model 1500 carbine. I cut the stock shorter and put a recoil pad on it for her. LOP was 13" to 13.25", my guess. Sitting on the padded shoulder harness of her day pack that was just fine.

She was a good shot in spite of being recoil sensitive. (Got cut on the eyebrow by a scope)

·
Senior Goof
3,664 Posts
Youth from 5'5" to men beyond 6', weighing anywhere from under 130lbs to over 300lbs have used non-gender rifles for a long time. Fit matters most. My wife is taller than most of the Hushin guys or any flat brimmers so if they can use it she probably can 🤣

Really a gun store where she can pull up on a few guns, and even finding them on UGA to just go LOOK at (that also gives you the benefit sometimes of having a scope mounted) are smart ideas. It's the winter so take your time, get her to shoulder a few, and see how it goes.

As for caliber there isn't anything wrong with a 7mm-08, 25-06, 260, 270, 308... Pretty much any of the nonmagnums are a breeze to shoot.

·
Registered
Big game, upland game, fishing, and mountains.
82 Posts
As for caliber there isn't anything wrong with a 7mm-08, 25-06, 260, 270, 308... Pretty much any of the nonmagnums are a breeze to shoot.
(Not that Ray doesn't know this but for the benefit of anyone coming across this thread in 2029...)

.308 is about the point where I have to start thinking about the details on shootability. I've got a .308 with a very light synthetic stock, and it doesn't quite seem to have the heft to absorb the recoil that I'd like. It's fine for the field but after about 30 rounds at the range I'm getting definitely pulling the trigger a bit more gingerly. My Lee-Enfield No. 4, OTOH, weighs a ton thanks to a full length wood stock but I can shoot it all day. Or at least I could if I could find some .303 British.

·
Super Moderator
3,729 Posts
I was actually looking at the tikka t3 lite in 270 win for her
Honestly, if I didn't have 7mm-08, I'd be packing a 270. Check out gunbroker, or local stores, bets are that you'll be able to find 270 shells at near normal prices. Get a limbsaver recoil pad for the lite and it'll hardly recoil (or feel like it does). For reference, I have an eight year old son who tips the scale at 56 pounds and he shoots my 7mm-08 every Friday morning without any issues.

I've killed antelope, mule deer, elk, caribou, and soon to be whitetail with the 7mm-08. I've never once felt undergunned and would never feel undergunned with a 270.

·
Registered
10,393 Posts
I nearly got my wife a Camilla for last years Christmas... still considering it for this years. I'd go 7mm08. They are very pretty rifles. The stock angle raises the rifle in relation to the shoulder placement, so its a bit easier to mount and look down optics. Enough to matter? /shrug

-DallanC

·
Administrator
21,619 Posts
I picked up the Camilla and haven’t looked back, it changed hunting for me. I’m on the smaller side (hands, height, etc.) and never felt comfortable with any other rifle. Besides a smaller hand and pull, it’s fitted for a longer neck that women (generally) have and different shoulder angle. I have the Mark V, but any Camilla stock should be the same. Send me any questions, I love it.

When I was looking a couple years ago, the Savage was just a kids gun. Fit me about as well as 12-year-old boy clothes (not a bit).
Welcome to the Forum!!

Reactions: gphunt

·
Administrator
21,619 Posts
I nearly got my wife a Camilla for last years Christmas... still considering it for this years. I'd go 7mm08. They are very pretty rifles. The stock angle raises the rifle in relation to the shoulder placement, so its a bit easier to mount and look down optics. Enough to matter? /shrug

-DallanC
That's a cool rifle. Thanks for the link.

·
in need of more patience
634 Posts
i got my wife a 300 PRC and threw a different break on it and she shoots it all day. All 90 lbs of her even stays on the chair. Once i started adding breaks to all my rifles, she will shoot anythign you put in front of her. Even took an elk at 500 yards with my 28 Nosler, and kept throwing lead at him like we told her to do.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts