Utah Wildlife Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Lots of great recommendations and ideas so far concerning "out of the box rifles". Now, if you want a perfect fit rifle and caliber, just drop 4-6K and have a custom made to fit rifle. Not everyone can spend that kind of cash on a rifle, but it also improves the accuracy of the person pulling the trigger. Not from being custom made, but from being custom fit. I have 4 rifles my Dad built in the 60's and 70's that are custom fit to him. He was a left handed shooter so they aren't that comfortable for me to shoot. One of my daughters is a lefty and guess what she's going to end up with?

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Lots of great recommendations and ideas so far concerning "out of the box rifles". Now, if you want a perfect fit rifle and caliber, just drop 4-6K and have a custom made to fit rifle. Not everyone can spend that kind of cash on a rifle, but it also improves the accuracy of the person pulling the trigger. Not from being custom made, but from being custom fit. I have 4 rifles my Dad built in the 60's and 70's that are custom fit to him. He was a left handed shooter so they aren't that comfortable for me to shoot. One of my daughters is a lefty and guess what she's going to end up with?
If she is left hand and left eye, then that's a good route to take. I'm left eye and learned to shoot using a right hand.

·
Registered
All of it. Hiking is terrible without a gun or rod in my hands.
696 Posts
Lots of good advice by a lot smarter folks than me. Maybe consider a .243? That'll get the job done on about everything. It's a little light for elk, but doable. That doesn't have near the recoil. Or a .25-06- another great gun. I fell trap to the 6.5 Creedmore craze, I'm not regreting it. But I love simple loads you can find anywhere in any hole in the wall sporting good store. .243, .308, .270, .30-06.

One option would be to find the right fit (I think a Savage may be helpful as they have fairly short stocks in my experience). They're one of the most accurate guns out of the box and don't take much maintenance. Spend money on the scope, obviously.

I know my wife and daughter don't love recoil or really loud noise. You could opt for a supressor that reduces both significantly, then you can get whatever caliber you want that fits her.

I shot my elk last year with my FIL's .338 Lapua that was suppressed. Never would shoot that without the suppressor.

Reactions: 270win

·
Registered
10,393 Posts
Took my wife out to Cabelas to handle a Weatherby Camilla just now. It has a distinctly different feel than a normal rifle.

Thinner grip, the barrel sits higher than the comb making head alignment a little higher. She said it felt much more natural to her than her Model 700, and she had a easier time mounting it (even with a bulky coat). It has a 20" barrel which to me is a negative with a slight fps loss, but it felt more natural to her.

Its definitely geared towards a smaller shooter in terms of fit and feel. I'd suggest if you are looking for a womans gun, she handle one in person and see if she can tell a difference... and if she likes it more or less than other style rifles.

-DallanC

·
Registered
10,393 Posts
Not going to be much of a surprise come Christmas, but I ordered up a Camilla in 7mm08 for my wife. We've already got dies and lots of components so reloading is easy peasy. Overall, I like the quality of the gun. Should be a fine rifle. Guarenteed to be sub 1MOA for 2 years.

-DallanC

21 - 28 of 28 Posts