Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,418 Posts
Not my favorite. IMO you would be better off with the Winchester Xperts, and they are the same price for 3" shells. Rogers Sporting Goods has Federal steel for $119 case w/free shipping. The Fiocchis are $114 a case with free shipping.
Whatever you decide to get I would recommend you buy 1 box and pattern your gun. One brand may shoot totally different in your gun than another.

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
Not my favorite. IMO you would be better off with the Winchester Xperts, and they are the same price for 3" shells. Rogers Sporting Goods has Federal steel for $119 case w/free shipping. The Fiocchis are $114 a case with free shipping.
Whatever you decide to get I would recommend you buy 1 box and pattern your gun. One brand may shoot totally different in your gun than another.
im fowlmouth on this

·
Registered
297 Posts
I had nothing but great success with these shells. They are priced moderate and have round polished shot. They patterned perfect out of my factory modified and did not have a bad shell in 2 cases. I wouldn't have xperts if I was given them for free as I personally have had problems with every box I have purchased. Try both and see what works best

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
diverfreak I wouldn't have xperts if I was given them for free as I personally have had problems with every box I have purchased. Try both and see what works best[/QUOTE said:
thats crazy, i'v used xperts for the past 5 years or so, and have had no problem, and I slam dunk birds with them...sometimes I jump over to Kent. what kind of problems are you having with them??

·
Registered
6,418 Posts
Speaking of Kent, I did like the All Purpose loads but I don't think they make them anymore.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
their actually my favorite (Kent fasteel that is), but sometimes I go cheap and get the xperts. if i'm going after geese, its Kent 3" # 1, through a patternmaster

·
Registered
6,418 Posts
My favorite load is Estate 3" #2's but they are getting hard to find. I like the Federal loads 3" #2's and Remington Sportsman 2 3/4" #2's. The problem I have had with Kent is the brass rusts faster than any other shell. The Xperts have had problems with pellets not being round (looks like slag beads from a welder) misfires and cycling problems in autos. I guess asking what someones favorite shell is, is like asking what their favorite shotgun is. You will get many opinions. But we all know the SX3 is the best shotgun for waterfowl.:grin:

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
thats crazy, i'v used xperts for the past 5 years or so, and have had no problem, and I slam dunk birds with them. what kind of problems are you having with them??
me to i have been shooting them about that long maybe longer and I have never had any problems with them.kill birds just fine with them.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I tried a box of 3.5" #3's. They seemed to shoot ok, but they sound like nothing I've heard before. You could actually hear the pellets cutting the air. Crazy

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I don't prefer the Xperts because they seem to stick on the chamber of ALL of my 870's after they are fired..

not to mention I have a very good friend who had one explode and destroy his Benelli Nova and nearly killed him. He ended up getting a free case of shells and a new nova as compensation for nearly killing him. Not worth it IMO. just my 2 cents..

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Jeez you guys, shotgun shells are the one place you shouldn't be trying to save money. It's worth it to pay a little extra for quality. That's why I shoot those new Hevishot Ultra Golds, they are pure Hevishot plated with 24 karat gold. They guarantee that they will kill ducks 27% deader, and they will pattern 100% at 95 yards. Sportsman's has them on sale now, they're only $1599 per case, totally worth it!

:cool:

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Jeez you guys, shotgun shells are the one place you shouldn't be trying to save money. It's worth it to pay a little extra for quality. That's why I shoot those new Hevishot Ultra Golds, they are pure Hevishot plated with 24 karat gold. They guarantee that they will kill ducks 27% deader, and they will pattern 100% at 95 yards. Sportsman's has them on sale now, they're only $1599 per case, totally worth it!

:cool:
I thought I was the only one who used those lol.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
I found it interesting to cut open shells and look at the components. When I did that with B&P and Experts, the B&P looked a lot better. The shot was round and uniform in size. The Experts didn't inspire confidence, but work just fine. I've used them for years without a single problem.

I mentioned this on another thread, but Roger's has the 20 gauge Federal stuff in 4s for $90/case delivered. I've been using the Expert 20 gauge 6s with excellent results the last couple of years. They used to be $7/box at Wal Mart, but I haven't seen them in a while.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Question: how many shells do you guys go through in a season??
I never count my shells fired, I count my birds though. I'm one of those dudes that shoots 100+ ducks a season, so factor in the misses i'd say an average of a bird every 2 or 3 shots, so about 300-500 rounds of steel shot a season I would guess

1 - 20 of 20 Posts