Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,786 Posts
I also wish I could go. Hope there's an amazing turn out this would be a great event to go to.

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
If I didn't have a wedding to go to, I'd check it out.

·
1,666 Posts
Man, what a week to be on call.

I wish I would have known about this in advance and I would have switched weeks with someone.

·
Registered
96 Posts
You don't need a ticket or anything, you don't need to be a member of RMEF, and it is free of charge. I'm planning on being there.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Great time for Utah's hunting/fishing organizations to step up. Ask your organization if they're sending a rep. If not, ask them why not.

Reactions: shortbreath54

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I cleared my schedule and will be there tonight...not as a member of any organization, but it will be interesting to see who is represented (if they ask).

·
Registered
580 Posts
Would love to be there to hear them talk. Would love to hear what they will be doing here in Utah in the future. If they want the expo they kinda need to do a HUGE PR here in utah and do the work as they say.

Anybody know if this is going to be recorded?

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I sat for 2 hours listening to David and Randy prattle on about anti-hunter conspiracy theories and I left disappointed because I was hoping for something better. But driving home, I digested what they had said and decided they really did have an important thesis tucked behind their examples of litigation politics, definition of "conservation", bull**** propaganda and that pathetic PowerPoint. (I hope the guy who invented PowerPoint is duly punished in the hereafter.)

That thesis is that hunters must get involved. Now. And there was also the suggestion that we speak as a unified voice.

I estimate 125 people in the room. That includes DWR personnel and at least 2 WB members. I saw reps from 4 organizations - maybe more because I don't know everybody. But there are 26 hunting/fishing orgs in the state, not counting affiliates and local chapters. This is downtown in the capitol city. In the current political context, we should have over-filled the room.

So I support what RMEF is trying to do, here. It's no secret that Utah sportsmen are apathetic, and we all know the reasons why. But under the current assaults on our culture (as David put it) and our heritage, we most definitely need to go on the offensive. These days, you can't remain silent if you value what's at stake.

So, thanks to RMEF and to Randy. Respect what y'all are trying to do.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I would have guessed closer to 100 people in the room. I was very surprised that there were not more, but I have to say that there wasn't a whole lot of PR about the event that I was aware of. They did slightly better than Sportsman's Warehouse's South Jordan "Grand Opening". I didn't hear a word about that until the day of! Asking Mr. Allen about attendance numbers elsewhere (after their presentation), he said the averages were between about 50-200 people. He did say though too that this is just the beginning. There will be follow-up gatherings in the future as RMEF implements their new strategic goals in the near future w/r/t how they plan to fight the anti orgs usage of the ESA and other Federal regulations to stop delisting of recovered species (primarily it would seem they are currently focused on wolves, grizzly bears, and sage grouse for obvious reasons).

The biggest take away I took from the night was that we as hunters have to stop slitting each others throats. To keep the traditions we cherish, we all need to start working together, instead of bad-mouthing those that do things differently than we do. Hunting is hunting, and so long as it is legal and ethical, there should be room for everyone. After listening to Mr. Allen speak, I sincerely believe this is probably why they are not going to pursue any sort of litigation over the expo contract as it would do nothing but divide hunters further and be a media event for the anti orgs that are out there. After thinking it through, I guess I can't really argue that point any more, as it makes sense.

Second take away is that as Finnegan said, we as sportsmen have to get involved, and if we are going to win the day, we have to go BIG. The anti orgs have been working under their current strategy for over 20 years, so we can't expect to change things overnight. We definitely won't change the trajectory if the majority remain the silent and apathetic majority. Plain and simple.

I thought it was a good presentation...not great and maybe a tad lengthy in some regards, but still a good use of my time. Newberg is a pretty funny guy - how he lives where he does with all the wolf and grizzly bear do-gooders is beyond me. Myself, I'd probably go crazy...

Finnegan did you ask any questions? I asked the question about why sportsman's organizations can't just create their own 501(c)(3) organizations and beat the antis at their own game. Just trying to put a face to a name.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Finnegan did you ask any questions? I asked the question about why sportsman's organizations can't just create their own 501(c)(3) organizations and beat the antis at their own game. Just trying to put a face to a name.
No. I was that dippy hippy with the white beard and bandana sitting with the guy who brought up the legislative website.

We have plenty of 501(c)3 organizations, but we can't beat the antis at their own game because, as Randy pointed out, they play by a different rule book.

But we can counter a lot of their nonsense. Roughly 10% of the population hunts, and there's a comparable number of animal rights activists. The majority of the population is neutral but can easily be swayed to either side. It's all about the image we project into the public's awareness.

·
Registered
6,828 Posts
Very little publicity. The only place I saw anything about this was here. How many people actually look at each of these? 50? 100? 200 tops? And what was posted was extremely vague.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Vanilla, there was discussion on wolves, anti hunting / the ARA movement
And a grassroots effort for hunters to become more involved in every aspect
Of hunting. The speakers suggested contacting game managers and politicians
At every level.

I agree with all of this and have said for years that the current system exists because
Of one thing. Hunter apathy. Think about this, on 12/18/15 Utah's wildlife lost about
15 million dollars because of the Expo bid. Many hunters could give a rats ass less about this and in fact can't wait to run out and give these people stealing money from our herds even more money. Boggles my mind.

The one point that stuck with me is David Allen brought up the European model of game funding and allocation of game. Hunts are for the elite and mostly high fence.

Contrast that with what we have going on in Utah as we speak. Their is a push to limit access to buck deer so some can see bigger bucks. In my opinion this model is not long term viable for wildlife, hunters or these conservation groups.

If we continue to lose hunters funding for wildlife will dry up or be funded by wealth tags
I.E. The rich / elite. As hunters go away so does groups like the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation. It's great for the Foundation to send out a call to action. It's also great, in my opinion, to send out a call to action to the RMEF. If we are going to play the game in Utah under the rules SFW has set, the Foundation has to get out of tuxedo mode and get down in the dirt with those who sustain it.

My .02

·
Registered
514 Posts
Finnegan, I was right behind you in the black ball cap. I asked the question about the Bipartisan Sportsman Act. I felt like the presentation was a bit long at times, but understand why they wanted to differentiate between environmentalism and conservation.

Overall, the message I came away with is to get involved and try to educate those around us of what is truly going on. While many of us may hate dealing with politics, we need to be involved.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts