Utah Wildlife Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove "the circuit" today. Rockport is capped, but I didn't see any humans, tracks (except for maybe some snowmobile tracks) or holes. Posted signs at the pullouts still claim thin ice. I saw one vehicle, maybe an ice tent, at the base of the boat ramp from across the lake, but that was all. Echo is WAY down, covered but again no humans, track or visible holes. Can see the inlet channel at least 3/4 mile north of the "normal" south boundary.

East canyon DID have a few folks on it, straight out from the south corner of the "square" bay on the east side (don't know what it's actually called). They were way over on the west side of the resevior and maybe 100 yards from OPEN WATER :shock:! The upper northeast arm was capped but WAY down, I'm guessing at least 30 feet below full pool. Most of the main body was still open water with only about 50 yards of ice from the shore out.

I did not venture out on any of it, so I don't know the ice thickness on Rockport or Echo.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I fished Rockport today 1/2/16 and the ice was approximately 6" thick. It was hard clear ice with about 2-3 inches of snow on top. Fishing was very slow.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
fished 1-10 @ east canyon, it had about 4-5 inches. NOT thick enough for a machine. not skinny enough to keep literally hundreds of people off the ice for that tournament this weekend...

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Rockport 1-23 had 10+ inches with plenty of machines out and about. Just be careful of the soft edges in the afternoon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.