Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be ice fishing at Rockport Saturday and Sunday 2-6 and 2-7-16 and was wondering if the fishing has picked back up. Apparently the bite was hot in mid January but really shut off in the later part of the month. Haven't seen any news on fishing recently at Rockport and am wondering if things have improved and where the best success has been and at what bottom depth. I will just have to pull my sled out probably over by Twin Creeks campground in the morning and do some searching. -O,-

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I went to Rockport late on 2-6-16. Found out a pearl colored paddle bug with chartreuse powerbait was the winning ticket. While most people I talked with only had a couple fish, one group was leaving and claimed to have caught over 50 trout and said using green or rainbow power bait on a paddle bug made the difference. I didn't have any power bait and set up and had really light bites in the same spot with waxworms and earthworms on a variety of lures including pearl paddle bugs. A nearby guy had 8 trout in his group with a tagged fish. I returned about 11 a.m. on Sunday 2/7, this time packing chartreuse powerbait. I went right to what was reported to be the winning combination the day before and put my first pole down 10 feet in 32 feet of water with powerbait on a pearl colored paddle bug. I already had a lime colored jig impregnated with powerbait on the second line and was attempting to just put a waxworm on it but got interrupted 4 times and had to pull fish off the first pole. I became a believer. I finally got the second pole down to an identical depth and didn't get a bite on it while the first pole was still getting fish. Even dropped it down to the bottom and got a trout right away. The bite didn't last very long but it kept me busy for a while.:grin:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts