Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was fired up for my November rifle elk hunt in the South Cache. Well Oregon draw results came out and I can't believe it, I drew a Rocky Mountain Goat Tag. In my state that is like hitting the lottery.
I am now trying to figure out how to get in the best shape by October. I want to buy mountain/hiking boots right away and start walking and hiking in them. I can tell you looking for one in size 14-15 limits your options. Any suggestions would be great if any of you have a big foot.
I would love to hear from any goat hunters out there and what it was like for them.
Thanks
Bob

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
Thats awesome, congratulations. My wife drew one last year and it was one of the funnest hunts I've ever been on. I'd trade my 19 or so Moose points for half as many mt goat points.

-DallanC

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
i'm no mountain goat hunter but i spend over 300 days a year between 8,000 and 11,000'. the danner pronghorn boots hold up ok for the cost and they are easy to break in. they had sizes listed to 14 if i recall correctly. i enjoy a stiff alpine style boot for pure hiking up high and something softer like the danners when hunting. you may be different and certainly may like more support for heavier loads. whatever you do, protect your ankles and knees. it's a long evac from where those goats live. and for training, spend more time walking uphill at elevation if possible and less walking downhill. your knees will thank you.

·
Registered
854 Posts
For the type of terrain that mountain goats live in, find boots with the most ankle support possible. Especially if you will be doing a lot of off trail travel. They live in some nasty places and the wrong boot could end your hunt early. read some backpacking forums/magazines and they generally have some good info on boots. they could point you in the right direction for your specific use. Also, congrats on the lucky year!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts