Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

Hope everyone is having a happy 2016. As many of you, I'm in the process of doing research for 2016 hunts and season. Particularly, I'm interested in a 2016 mountain goat hunt for my father. He has 12 points, and if I'm not mistaken that may be enough to pull a nanny goat tag on Willard or possibly Beaver. I'm interested in hearing from anyone that has experienced those hunts?

My father has some health issues, and that is one of the reasons that I'm thinking the nanny tag may be a good option, as he could possibly draw that tag a few years sooner than the Billy tag. I'm interested in your thoughts about a nanny vs Billy goat as a once in a lifetime trophy? I know the Billy's have a bit more mass in their horns, and larger in general. Does a nanny make a nice mount on the wall? I know there are some taxidermists that visit the forums, and would be interested in your thoughts on the "trophy" value/looks of a Billy vs Nanny mount. We aren't looking for a book goat, but would like a good representation of the species and a nice mount to remember the hunt. Of course, we know it's not the size of the animal but the experience of the hunt which holds the most value.

Finally, for those of you that have done either of these hunts, would be interested to hear your experience? I'm leaning towards Willard as I think it may be a little less physically demanding, but have always wanted to hunt the Beaver, as that is why we started applying for the goat tag many years ago.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions, and feel free to PM me if you prefer that over sharing on the open forum.

Thanks all

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Where you from?

·
Registered
169 Posts
I don't know anything about hunting goats or about the Willard unit. But I have grown up hunting beaver every year, and it is a hunt that can be done. There is a lot of goats there. We see them from the very far back country, to a couple hundered yards off the road. Good luck

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know anything about hunting goats or about the Willard unit. But I have grown up hunting beaver every year, and it is a hunt that can be done. There is a lot of goats there. We see them from the very far back country, to a couple hundered yards off the road. Good luck
Thanks for the information and response Blackie. That is some beautiful country that you get to hunt each year! I appreciate the input and glad to hear the goats are doing well done there.

·
Super Moderator
3,411 Posts
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the nanny hunt on the beaver unit will not take place in 2016. I thought that was one of the items on the docket that the DNR proposed at the wildlife board meeting and that hunt is not listed in the 2016 big game application guidebook.

As far as the Willard hunt, it can get very very easy. I lived in North Ogden (right below Ben Lomond Peak) and spent a lot of time looking at goats, both from below as well as up on top. You can drive a truck to Inspiration Point, and hike nearly a flat trail from Inspiration to Ben Lomond Peak (you do gain a little elevation the last little part to get up to the peak). This portion of the mountain is widely used by hikers and bikers, so the goats are very accustomed to seeing people. The biggest nanny I have ever seen was less than 300 yards from the parking lot. Once the shooting starts, the goats do head for the cliffs, but usually are back out on top by midweek of the season.

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
CPA is correct.^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Willard peak is the only female goat hunt for 2016.....

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
The Beaver nanny hunt being discontinued will no doubt have a trickle down effect on the Ogden since both are/were the "easier" to draw options. It'll be interesting to see how applicant pool for the Ogden hunt is affected.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
I'm no expert on Willard, but I have had many clients who shot goats on that unit and I always hear stories of steep, rough, cliff country. Lots of long tumbles and damaged hides. The Beaver unit can be much less rugged.

As for the difference in a nanny and a billy mount-- they are white animals with black horns. The hair is the real trophy (imho). The data I've seen showed 30-40%ish of any-goat hunters shoot nannies. A mature nanny will be similar to a semi-mature billy (what most people shoot) The same general sized forms are used for both. Both can look great and rarely do people ask "Is that a nanny?" when they see a nanny mount. Both can have the same shape to their horns, while a nanny horn will be more slender. I would rather shoot a large nanny, with great hair, that doesn't roll down cliffs vs a billy with shorter hair or that rolls down the cliffs.

A large, mature billy is larger-- bigger shoulder and hump, while they usually have longer hair along their back and heavier horns. It is a difference, but I'd guess the great majority of people would never know the difference of the mount on the wall.

When I talk to people who are preparing to go on their mtn goat hunt I usually give them the same advice.
-Be careful where you kill it. Do you want a slightly smaller goat with a perfect face/hide or do you want to kill a larger goat that tumbles down avalanche chutes and tears his face apart and breaks those larger horns?
-Just like billies, nannies can be off alone and there is nothing to compare it to-- so if everything is to scale a small nanny can look like a decent billy.
-The hair is what makes a mount pop. Hunt them as late in the year as you comfortably can and the hair will be longer.
-In the end it is a white animal with black horns. Both look good on the wall.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm no expert on Willard, but I have had many clients who shot goats on that unit and I always hear stories of steep, rough, cliff country. Lots of long tumbles and damaged hides. The Beaver unit can be much less rugged.

As for the difference in a nanny and a billy mount-- they are white animals with black horns. The hair is the real trophy (imho). The data I've seen showed 30-40%ish of any-goat hunters shoot nannies. A mature nanny will be similar to a semi-mature billy (what most people shoot) The same general sized forms are used for both. Both can look great and rarely do people ask "Is that a nanny?" when they see a nanny mount. Both can have the same shape to their horns, while a nanny horn will be more slender. I would rather shoot a large nanny, with great hair, that doesn't roll down cliffs vs a billy with shorter hair or that rolls down the cliffs.

A large, mature billy is larger-- bigger shoulder and hump, while they usually have longer hair along their back and heavier horns. It is a difference, but I'd guess the great majority of people would never know the difference of the mount on the wall.

When I talk to people who are preparing to go on their mtn goat hunt I usually give them the same advice.
-Be careful where you kill it. Do you want a slightly smaller goat with a perfect face/hide or do you want to kill a larger goat that tumbles down avalanche chutes and tears his face apart and breaks those larger horns?
-Just like billies, nannies can be off alone and there is nothing to compare it to-- so if everything is to scale a small nanny can look like a decent billy.
-The hair is what makes a mount pop. Hunt them as late in the year as you comfortably can and the hair will be longer.
-In the end it is a white animal with black horns. Both look good on the wall.
Thank you for the response and helpful comments Packout! It is very appreciated. I think I am leaning to the Willard Nany hunt. That will be a great time with Dad!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you for heads up regarding the closure of th nanny hunt on the Beaver CPA and Goofy! That helps narrow it down:).

·
Senior Goof
3,612 Posts
If you get the Willard hunt and you guys need a pack mule to tag along, let me know! I live in the area and am throwing points at a goat. I would love to help out on anything.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I think Packout nailed it. The vast majority of folks can't distinguish (or won't see much difference) between a nanny and a billy. That said go for the one you want. Nanny hunt odds are much better than the billy odds. Of course, you know that...

I don't think it has been said, but even though a nanny's horns are more slender, they are often as long, if not longer than a comparable billy's. That said, I have no experience on Willard and don't know the herd characteristics on that unit.

·
Registered
10,055 Posts
+1 to Packout, he gave the best and most accurate advice on our hunt.

I agree it seems alot if not most people cant tell the difference in some nannys and a billy. It can be REALLY difficult. Check out the following picture of the herd my wife shot her billy out of, two shooter billys in there, and two "nice" nannys, and one HUGE nanny guys would be amazed to have.

Can you tell which is which:

http://huntingnut.com/temp/mtgoats.jpg

If you cant tell the difference between them quickly, then it goes towards Packouts point that it really shouldnt matter.

-DallanC

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks all for the comments, PM's and posts, which have been helpful. Great Pic DallanC, and yes, that can be really hard to tell the nanny's from the billies! I think I may be able to tell the billlies, from the nannies in that pic,but to be honest, would be nervous to pull the trigger without feeling a little more confident. I better start studying! Thanks all!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you get the Willard hunt and you guys need a pack mule to tag along, let me know! I live in the area and am throwing points at a goat. I would love to help out on anything.
Thank you RandomElk! Will keep you posted on whether or not we get a tag. Would be great to have some help, and appreciate the offer. Likewise, would be happy to help you pack out your goat also, should we all be so lucky as to draw a tag. Good luck.

·
Bjorne Lou Tsar
3,340 Posts
I don't think it's all that hard to tell the difference between a nanny and a billy. If you sit and study them for a bit I think it becomes fairly obvious what sex they are after you get a good facing and a good side view.
I've spent quite a bit of time in the Tushers, Willard, Indian Creek Wyoming, Alaska RG480 and unit ** in Idaho and I can tell you that you are headed for one of the most beautiful and spectacular alpine habitats God has created.

Here's a few educational tests that will help you tell a nanny from a billy.
http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/hunting/goathunting/pdfs/goat_long_quiz_for_web.pdf
http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=quiz.mountaingoatquiz&screen=2

·
Registered
420 Posts
send me a PM. I have hunted nannies and took a large one on willard. you will have to learn to tell the difference between the billies and nannies if you get nanny license. .you could be a long distance from where you park up to two or three miles which IS difficult. the shooting was technical and steep downhill. it's important to know how to hit the goat. study anatomy. it's important to anchor the them on the spot. most hunters do not practice steep downhill shots or study anatomy. Iscouted numerous times and have numerous trail camera photos. I have my hunt on video. Anyway send me a pm if you would like to know about goat hunting on willard.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts