Utah Wildlife Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
I use the term, since that what they are. But it’s not common to hear, for sure.

I’ve lived in places where they most often were called partridge, and saying “roughed grouse“ would get a stare or comment. But that’s what they are, roughed grouse.

Speaking of which, last elk archery I saw about 60 roughed grouse and about 10 blue or mountain grouse. This year, same area hunted, 2 roughed and 1 mountain grouse.
No, they are called ruffed grouse. A "roughed grouse" is a grouse that takes a full choke load of 7 1/2 shot at 5 yards.

·
Administrator
21,629 Posts
I saw an Ivory billed woodpecker the other day.
Uh....in Utah? Uh...you need to fill out a coupla rare bird reports. I have the forms.

·
Administrator
21,629 Posts
This is my favorite thread.

·
Administrator
21,629 Posts
It was stuffed and in a museum. Does that count?
No, and thanks, I got enough bird watching paperwork from the 2021/2022 Christmas Bird Count.

You could take a pic, Photoshop the Ivory-billed and send it to me. I can insert the pic in some quakie tree pic try to enter it in the Christmas Bird Count.

Reactions: backcountry

·
Administrator
21,629 Posts
As much as the wolves in Hogle Zoo count in our wolf picture thread :)

Oh... and the Ptarmigan under the counter at Cabelas.

-DallanC
What's a "Ptarmigan"?

Reactions: DallanC

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
No, and thanks, I got enough bird watching paperwork from the 2021/2022 Christmas Bird Count.

You could take a pic, Photoshop the Ivory-billed and send it to me. I can insert the pic in some quakie tree pic try to enter it in the Christmas Bird Count.
No can do on the stuffed Ivorybill, but I did get a picture of an eagle stealing a buddy's trout while he was napping a few days ago. Would that help?

Snow Sky Mountain Ecoregion Slope

·
Administrator
8,119 Posts
I was talking to a guy a while back who kept calling them “tuh-margin” so there’s that

·
Registered
558 Posts
Them ruffies can be mean little fellers....

·
Registered
10,549 Posts
Heh... thats nothing, check out the european Capercaillies grouse. Those **** things will fly down and pick a literal fight with you:

-DallanC

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
I'm still confused by this thread. It's supposedly about grouse but the man clearly threw a dodo into a fan and that's getting no attention. Yet another example of how few COs we have.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts