·
Administrator
21,349 Posts
What? a 1-A in 7.62x39

yer killin' me

·
Premium Member
1,376 Posts
Pictures or it didn't happen... and another thing, why?

·
Premium Member
4,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A mini express rifle. It's kind of intriguing. I wonder if it has a .308 bore. It would be a little more versatile that way.

·
Premium Member
1,376 Posts
That's awful close to what the British would call a Rook Rifle. Are you guys getting any I can come and drool on? My tastes far exceed my finances.

·
Registered
9,949 Posts
Ya me too, I LOVE #1's. My boy asked me this past weekend if I ever drew my moose tag what I would use to shoot it with. I said I would LOVE to get a #1 in 45-70 and use that. If my wife shoots that down, I'll try to beg my dads original Winchester 1883 45-70 and use that (my brother used it this past fall for a moose, its in great working condition).

A #1 in 45-70 would be fine for an African game rifle wouldnt it? Using the heavier loads?

-DallanC

·
Premium Member
4,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We had one as of 2pm on Saturday. It is a sweet rifle. Hopefully it will be there tomorrow afternoon so I can drool on it again.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
....I'll try to beg my dads original Winchester 1883 45-70 and use that (my brother used it this past fall for a moose, its in great working condition).

A #1 in 45-70 would be fine for an African game rifle wouldnt it? Using the heavier loads?

-DallanC
I've never heard of a Winchester 1883, more likely your dad's gun is either a model 1885 (falling block single shot), or a Winchester model 1886 (long action lever). Both are John M. Browning designed guns that are quite collectable in original condition.

As I recall, my reloading books have a separate section for reloading the .45/70 for Ruger #1's . It seems to me that you can reload the 500 gr FMJ Ruger #1 .45/70 to within 400 fps of max load of a .458 Winchester Magnum, which would make it a capable African round.

Back to Cooky's question of the Ruger #1 chambered in 7.62x39, why??

·
Registered
9,949 Posts
I've never heard of a Winchester 1883, more likely your dad's gun is either a model 1885 (falling block single shot), or a Winchester model 1886 (long action lever). Both are John M. Browning designed guns that are quite collectable in original condition.
Whoops, typo... (sorry we'd just gotten back off the skyline from a weekend camping / fishing). You are absolutely correct: its an original 1886 Lever action in incredible condition.

-DallanC

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I like cz's 527 in 7.62x39. handy lil rifle. cant afford one right now but I never pass up the chance to fondle one when I see it on the used rack.

·
Registered
226 Posts

-DallanC
I have a shooting buddy with a Ruger #1 in 405 Winchester (Teddy Rosevelt's African safari caliber). It sure is a fun gun to shoot and a relatively light kicker (for a bigger caliber).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts