Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks intriguing..

http://www.ruger.com/micros/rpr/

Wish other builders would catch on to this idea. (Hint hint Savage and Remington)

It says MSRP is around 1299, which realistically should sell for under 1k..

Just a guess but I would think that if the initial 3 calibers (308 win, 6.5 creedmoor and 243 win) is just the beginning. If they do well I would venture to bet that they later release a 7mm, 338 and other desirable larger calibers.

Thoughts?

Reactions: shortbreath54

·
Bjorne Lou Tsar
3,340 Posts
I'll admit I'm not a big fan of that style (AR15) rifles but I like everything about that rifle. I'd love to shoot that thing!

·
Registered
642 Posts
The nice thing about "AR15 style" rifles is that they have a user-change-friendly modularity, as well as a very straight-line recoil that reduces rise. Considering that after the first "gotta have" surge go out the door that the actual retail price should drop to less - it is a pretty good way to go off-the-shelf.
And the modularity might encourage a whole slew of aftermarket stuff for it.

·
Premium Member
4,049 Posts
MSRP $1399. Which means the real price will be in the $1200 range.
And no distributers have it in stock yet......

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MSRP $1399. Which means the real price will be in the $1200 range.
And no distributers have it in stock yet......
I was kinda hoping it would be less than 1000 real price. Time will only tell I guess

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
whats the weight of that rig? looks interesting I wouldn't mind one in 300 wsm. Im just not sold on ruger quality so ill wait till I read some reviews. If it shoots like they say it does and weighs under 10 lbs scoped id probably buy one.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I was kinda hoping it would be less than 1000 real price. Time will only tell I guess
18001 Ruger PREC RFL BA 308 20B 10RD Allocated contact retailer
$988.99 *
18005-RUG Ruger PREC RFL BA 6.5CREED 10RD Allocated contact retailer
$988.99 *
18010 Ruger PREC RFL BA 243 20B 10RD Allocated contact retailer
$988.99 *
* Shipping, Tax, and Background Check fees not included in price!

$988.99 looks under $1K to me...

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
whats the weight of that rig? looks interesting I wouldn't mind one in 300 wsm. Im just not sold on ruger quality so ill wait till I read some reviews. If it shoots like they say it does and weighs under 10 lbs scoped id probably buy one.
308 - 9.7 lbs
6.5 Creed - 10.6 lbs
243 - 11 lbs

·
Premium Member
4,049 Posts
18001 Ruger PREC RFL BA 308 20B 10RD Allocated contact retailer
$988.99 *
18005-RUG Ruger PREC RFL BA 6.5CREED 10RD Allocated contact retailer
$988.99 *
18010 Ruger PREC RFL BA 243 20B 10RD Allocated contact retailer
$988.99 *
* Shipping, Tax, and Background Check fees not included in price!

$988.99 looks under $1K to me...
Those look suspiciously like the details you might find on a wholesale distributors website. And "allocated" means "Good luck finding one".

Reactions: Bax*

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
The latest NRA American Rifleman magazine just did an article on it, they tested the 6.5 creedmoor version. I was impressed at the groups they were getting, 5 consecutive 5 shot groups with 3 types of ammo and the overall average group size was .76". That is really impressive, I have been reading this magazine for over 15 years and that is about as good as you will see, even compared to some custom rifles. Here is a link to the article, it's worth the read:

http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2015/7/17/ruger-precision-rifle/

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think I'll wait on the first batch or two and see what is being said about them by owners, but I have always liked Ruger Rifles. I definitely see one of these rifles in my future. :D

·
Registered
718 Posts
Those look suspiciously like the details you might find on a wholesale distributors website. And "allocated" means "Good luck finding one".
go to gallery of guns... click on find a retailer... pick the nearest one to you that has an online store... then do the gun search through them... allocated means there are some out there but spoken for already.. Those prices are from APB Arms in Duchesne.. They are my nearest dealer with the online store set up.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
There are a few up for sale on Gunbroker. You will probably find yourself paying $1200 or more for one, but they are available.

·
Administrator
7,961 Posts
I've always felt the same Loke.

Then you ask to be notified when one is in stock, then you see the email a few hours after the item is "in stock" and by the time you check, it is gone.

Allocated is German for "you are crazy if you think you'll get this gun any time soon."

·
Premium Member
4,049 Posts
I found out the other day from our Ruger rep, that American Rifleman jumped the gun (pun intended) and introduced the Ruger Precision Rifle about three months before Ruger was ready. Something about they needed a cool cover story for this month's issue. Never mind that tooling wasn't in place, production hadn't started, and the distribution pipeline was still empty.

·
Administrator
7,961 Posts
I found out the other day from our Ruger rep, that American Rifleman jumped the gun (pun intended) and introduced the Ruger Precision Rifle about three months before Ruger was ready. Something about they needed a cool cover story for this month's issue. Never mind that tooling wasn't in place, production hadn't started, and the distribution pipeline was still empty.
That's an interesting story Loke. Sounds like American Rifleman likely wont get any hints at new products any time soon after this flop.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts